Polaroid, RIP

Wow. Didn't think about it, but it makes sense. RIP!

Wow, I lived through an era.
My first wife was a model for the first 15 second BW polaroid film - without knowing it.

The company was on Rte 128 in Massachusetts and the staff used to come over to our school to try the film in different light and weather conditions. We thought is was magic.

Sigh. I hate to see things like this happen. I just got into LF and was hoping to use a Polaroid back. Good thing I didn't win that eBay auction...

Dont worry you guys, i am certain that someone will pick up the license.

Maybe, maybe not. I have a back for the Blad's. But at around $100 a pack, I don't use it.

The loss of instant sheet film has something of a knock-on effect. Those people still using film in the studio can no longer proof their work and discuss it with the rest of the team. They can no longer lay up a cover shot using an 8x10 Polaroid. Conversion to digital looks like the only way forward. That means they won't be shooting lots of sheets of Ektachrome, they won't be having that developed at the local pro lab. Even in the photo district of New York E-6 labs are already struggling. The loss of Polaroid sheet film may very well mean that the bulk of their remaining customers either retire or switch to digital.

There's nothing here that could not have been foreseen, and anybody who relied on the existence of Polaroid film has probably thought a lot about Plan B.

I'll miss sheet Polaroid. Fuji don't make instant sheet film at the moment. Maybe they will in the future, maybe they won't. They make a limited range of pack film, of course.

Best,
Helen

And I thought that it was going to be impossible to get film for my model 95A before...........

Sigh. I hate to see things like this happen. I just got into LF and was hoping to use a Polaroid back. Good thing I didn't win that eBay auction...
That's exactly what I was thinking, i'm sure a small company will adopt that niche market though.

And to think I was standing at the counter debating on wether or not to pick up a packet of poleroid film and start using the bloody thing for test shots....Owell. they started the whole see it now thing, only makes sense I guess.

As I've already mentioned, Fuji make instant pack film, including 4x5. Polaroid backs for medium format cameras are likely to be able to use the pack film still available. I use Fuji in the back for my Rolleiflex SL 66.

Best,
Helen

Most reactions

New Topics

Back