Portable tripod

ketan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,

I wish to travel to Europe with my family and it becomes always challenging to take own family photo by giving DSLR to passer by.
As I have experienced, with most people using smart phones as camera, when I handover my R6mii requesting people to take my photo the first question they ask is where is the button to click. So to save me from this frustration, I wish ti carry a portable tripod or similar.
I have shortlisted Platypod extreme or Leofoto 223CEX. Not sure which one to go for.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

Go to s foreign country and hand over your photography equipment to a stranger. What could possibly go wrong? Lolz.

Use the self timer function.

I will explain, first of all 95 out of 100 people use smart phone and feel uncomfortable with DSLR. In some instances I gave my R6mii to them after focusing etc but inadvertently they will touch on back screen and that will change the focus point. Also asking them to use back button focus will be too much to ask so I need to disable that. Last but not the lease, the composition and fitment of the subjects will be at their discretion or judgement so sometimes you find your legs cut and too much of sky or say framing not the way we want when we want to use the DSLR.
So I thought of carrying a portable tripod where I can have my composition as I want.
Hope this explains.
Thanks

I will explain, first of all 95 out of 100 people use smart phone and feel uncomfortable with DSLR. In some instances I gave my R6mii to them after focusing etc but inadvertently they will touch on back screen and that will change the focus point. Also asking them to use back button focus will be too much to ask so I need to disable that. Last but not the lease, the composition and fitment of the subjects will be at their discretion or judgement so sometimes you find your legs cut and too much of sky or say framing not the way we want when we want to use the DSLR.
So I thought of carrying a portable tripod where I can have my composition as I want.
Hope this explains.
Thanks
As I said use the self timer (on a tripod) and all that issues are irrelevant.

You'll also find that most tripods are portable.

Anyone has experience of using platypod extreme and found it to be useful?

Hi,

I wish to travel to Europe with my family and it becomes always challenging to take own family photo by giving DSLR to passer by.
As I have experienced, with most people using smart phones as camera, when I handover my R6mii requesting people to take my photo the first question they ask is where is the button to click. So to save me from this frustration, I wish ti carry a portable tripod or similar.
I have shortlisted Platypod extreme or Leofoto 223CEX. Not sure which one to go for.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
You'll find some good advice here on choosing a tripod:

Another consideration from Sirui. Almost full size when extended, holds 13lbs, weighs only 2lbs, and folds down to just 12”. I have used the prior version of this for a few years and have had great experiences with it.

Try handing somebody a film camera......LOL

I use a mini tripod that is similar to this one.....

Anyone has experience of using platypod extreme and found it to be useful?
Seriously?
Hi,

Any suggestions?
Thanks
You must have a very short family...Sounds like you need a selfie stick. BTW, does everyone have to be in the shot?

The Platypod (and the Extreme)is great in limited circumstances. It works well on a car, a table, a chair. If you don't have something to set it on though, you're going to get a tremendous keystone effect (near the ground shooting up). Try looking at a gorillapod. Light, small, fits carry-on bags. With its bendable and gripping legs, you can wrap it around a tree trunk or fence post. And it involves less setup than the platypod.

Thanks friends for all the advises. I am settling on Peak design cb travel tripod that looks fitting all requirements.

A few months ago I bought the Peak Design travel tripod and I'm really liking it. Since the majority of the pictures that I take are while I'm biking, this tripod works wonders because of how much it compacts. It comes with a attachment piece so that you can use your phone on the tripod as well for no additional cost.

When we are ready to take a picture of ourselves I will either use the timer on my camera, or use the Bluetooth remote control function to operate my camera. When traveling in a city it can be a pain to leave a tripod out in the open but this one really gets the job done for me. Price is a bit steep, but well worth the size when collapsed.

Edit; I've also use the Manfroto mini tripod and it works well, for simple shots, I wouldn't rely on it for long exposure shots though.

Let us know how it works out for you.
Agreed. People ask questions, those of us on the forum take the time to share experiences. And when people respond with "here's what I got, here's how it turned out, what I discovered"--that just encourages people to provide more feedback for future questions. So second (and third) Razky's comment here.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back