Portrait Black&White (C&C please)

PhotoJones

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So this is a second photo from my first portrait photoshoot. Any comments or critiques? Thanks for looking! :)

4386005863_87b951cba7_b.jpg

Very harsh shadows, way too much going on in the background...

Nice tonality. Crisp.
However, the guys shirt is too similar to the tone of the trees, so his shoulders kinda blend in.

The biggest issue I have though is the girls face being framed byt the brick pillars. I think it is being visually squashed by the verticals. I think her nose gets translated as a brick, because there is brick of the same shade in right in front of it, and three bricks up from it.

I like the poses. Maybe a little turn of her face towards the camera. The guy has a nice side profile here.

Nice tonality. Crisp.
However, the guys shirt is too similar to the tone of the trees, so his shoulders kinda blend in.

The biggest issue I have though is the girls face being framed byt the brick pillars. I think it is being visually squashed by the verticals. I think her nose gets translated as a brick, because there is brick of the same shade in right in front of it, and three bricks up from it.

I like the poses. Maybe a little turn of her face towards the camera. The guy has a nice side profile here.

I felt my C&C was short and vague, but you did the complete opposite! And I agree with Bitter.

I played with this in Photoshop, if PhotoJones would give me permission to post.
It addresses many of the issues, and makes for a pretty nice image.

Thanks everyone for the critiques and comments, helps me work on some things. Also, this was a self portrait, that's my girlfriend and I. Thanks again!

I played with this in Photoshop, if PhotoJones would give me permission to post.
It addresses many of the issues, and makes for a pretty nice image.

Yes, please post, I'd love to see it! Thanks for your informative critique as well.

TahDah!

4386005863_87b951cba7_b1.jpg

I selected the very back background, created a new layer and pasted it. Then used "blur more" several times. A lot of times, really. Then I selected each brick pillar, and blurred each one progressively less. I did some burning around her nose, and the other similar colored bricks, to help deperate them. I did some more burning on the left side of her arm as well, for the same reason. Oh, I also darkened the trees, again, to seperate your shirt from them. I also added on to the image by cloning, to the right, to give a little more balance. I got carried away with the bricks by her arm. :p
I guess I created a hill on the right for no other reason than I should be asleep right now.

How you like? :mrgreen:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back