Portrait of a flower? Hardcore critique pls!

tirediron

Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, serious critique time!

This is an idea I've been working for a category entitled "Portrait of a flower". (1) Is this even appealing, (2) Does it suit the category title, and (3) What can I do to improve it?

Thanks!

Flower_4x6_Small.jpg

well, if you want to keep it in black and white, i'd add some more contrast. right now it's really white and flat

or, you could add color

I personally think this would be nicer in color. Too much of a wide expanse of white, without any detail in the top half for me.

Thanks Lisa & Moo appreciate the input; I'm going for a very subtle, soft look, hence the lack of contrast and soften detail. The image does lose something scaled down for posting.

I do think it suits the category title. I like it, but I agree that just a tiny bit more contrast to bring out more detail in the top half would help.

Hmm I don't know - your going for a softer look but whilst the petals do give this effect the main body of the flower looks rough to me. I would say that a bit more depth to the shot would help it a bit - maybe work with the lighting to get a bit more shadowing and add a little contrast so that you can keep your softer appearnce (since adding a lot of contrast will make it appear sharper).
I also feel that it might be a little heavily cropped on the right hand side - a tiny bit more frame there would halp to being the main focus out of the corner a little and more into the frame

Most reactions

New Topics

Back