Portrait on the rocks

asherexplore

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
ok so I have an sb600 that i have just bought an umbrella and stand and two pocket wizards.
I've set a personal goal to achieve nice portrait style lighting in a Bouldering(rock climbing) setting.
This is difficult mainly because you often only get one shot at guessing your exposure and strobe power setting. Often Climbers make a climb once and then don't try it again.
This is my first attempt at such a feat. C&C please!

dsc_0522web.jpg

here is s link to the rest of the shoot: http://asher.smugmug.com/Climbing/Ibex-Utah/11504809_XVxVu#809627209_dYjGN

Last edited:
love the lighting! i'd like the pic better if that 2nd guy wasn't in it... kind of distracting since the light isn't on him either. cool idea, great job!

I find the subject's pose and facial expression quite tense and desperate, not really "in control" of the climb. The man ready for rescue behind him doesn't help that feeling... Also, crop tighter, so it seems that you're miles up a cliff face, not four feet off the ground... kinds of takes the element of jeopardy out of it.

it was tense for both the climber and spotter. this is a tall wall and the landing is very bad, a large rock sticking out of the ground right where you would land.
I do have one that is cropped tighter if you are interested you can follow the link in my first post.
Thanks for the response!

Ah, interesting. In that case, try and keep something like that in the shot.

yea, i agree with that. however composition on the fly is a bit tough when you are positioning lights and navigating a boulder field on crutches. im hopping around with a broken ankle.
In this shot specificaly in order to include the "death fall" baoulder i would have had to stood back too far to hold umbrella up and over him.

At first glance, my first thought is -- a giant rock. My after thought is -- oh, there's a guy there. If that visual prority was intentional, then well done. If not, well that's another mater.

At first glance, my first thought is -- a giant rock. My after thought is -- oh, there's a guy there. If that visual prority was intentional, then well done. If not, well that's another mater.

interesting. i certainly intended on the climber being the focus.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back