Positive thoughts on Commercial and Retail Photography

craig

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
craigblank.com
Let's let the negative slide and hear your positive thoughts on the current state of affairs in the commercial and retail fields of photography.

Personally digi has easily provided freedom and control of my photos. Everything from the 90 second photo lab to manipulation of every pixel has taken my work to the next level.

The web puts my work out to a staggering amount of potential clients. The web also lets me contact a staggering amount of potential clients. I also feel that the web has opened commerce, so that more people need photography.

So let's hear your views.

Love & Bass
)'(

its November only pessimistic posts survive November 0 come back in spring/summer for happier posters ;)

As for positive thoughts on the current state of photography, well not too much to say from me since I only started paying attention to it last year, so the big change from film focus to digital was never something that I was directly a part of.
I have to say though Nikon releasing cameras as they did recently should put the push on developers like Canon and might force them away from such strong limitations on what their lower end camera models can do.
I also hope that after canons recent push on MP's that they consider the limit reached and start to improve other aspects such as noise, sharpness and dynamic range

Damn, OR, you're totally right about pretty much everything in that. No, seriously, I agree.

On the subject, I also love the way that Nikon are still bringing out and, more importantly, updating their old lenses. When the AF-S 50mm 1.4 came out, I was delighted that such an old lens was being brought back to life. Just as I hope that camera manufacturers will stop concentrating on megapixels and start concentrating on noise levels, processors etc, I hope that they won't forget that no matter how great your body is, a £20 lens on the front will destroy all their hard work.

After the Canon 800mm was released not only with IS but also being 2kg lighter than their existing 600mm lens I was impressed. It was a new telephoto lens and yet its weight and IS make it a usable and serviceable lens instead of just a show-off lens.

I eaglery await to see if they can lower the weight of the other lenses - even if optical performance is not improved better IS and lighter lenses would be fantastic. Also whilte Canon had IS first they are now lagging behind a bit with Nikon lenses which are now comming out with more stops worth of IS than Canon.

Also I recall reading that it was Canon's marketing department which pushed the development of high MP cameras rather than other areas since MP still sell cameras by default to those looking to start at either budget or midrange cameras who are new to the game. However it seems that (at the very least for crop sensor cameras) the limit has been reached for MP with current technology - so I do hope that we will start to see development pushing in other areas - eg greater dynamic range

I don't have to stand in a dark room (with access to running water) a bunch of chemicals and a thermometer.

:lol: The comment about less concentration on megapixels is funny, since earlier this year they developed the technology for a gigapixel camera chip. It is just a matter of time.

skieur

Most reactions

New Topics

Back