Post-processing shots with high texture

ram.adi88

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello! I've been brushing up my photoshop skills and have been working on a photo with a lot of texture in it. I'm a bit stuck on how to proceed, and would appreciate some feedback/direction. I've attached the before (first) and after (second) shots. Thanks in advance!

Original.JPG
Processed.jpg

I'm still a bit puzzled. Maybe it's the shot itself, but I'm not able to get 'that' finish! I played around a bit more and got to this (below). Isn't there anything more I could do to it?
Waves2.jpg

Maybe you are looking for more detail ?
your shot was at f/5.6 @ 1/1250 I think per EXIF
The bird is in focus but stuff goes OOF before and after it a bit when I pixel-peep.
Maybe that is what you are noticing ??

I see a good transition (from my novice eyes) from the before/after shots.

I think detail's the word - I must admit, this is a compressed version cause I couldn't upload the full quality image, but generally looking at the image without zooming in, it's most probably the lack of detail which I see. So does this mean I have to shoot at a higher aperture? I can't probably find fault with the shutter speed (maybe could have been even faster), as the bird was moving quite rapidly, as was the water (this was taken on a boat, and the trail is from the motor).

Last edited:
Unless there is a specific reason you are trying with this picture, I would try practicing on a different one. The subject is too small in the frame to matter much in my opinion.

Unless there is a specific reason you are trying with this picture, I would try practicing on a different one. The subject is too small in the frame to matter much in my opinion.

I agree, you need a longer focal length for that bird pic

^^This.

Most reactions

Back