POW/MIA

ShutteredEye

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.theshutteredeye.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Two things about this shot caught my eye. The flag whipping in the breeze and the sun bursting through the clouds. Does the way I integrated them work?

I don't remember Tv or Av (and I didn't write it down), but it's 200ISO Fuji color film rendered B&W in PS, and taken about 200mm if I had to guess.

Tear it up, I really want to learn from this one, because I worked hard on this one until I like what I saw....but I don't know if it really works or not.

POW.jpg

The only thing that I don't like about it is that the bottom of the flag is fairly defined, the top just seems to fade into the darkness of the cloud. It doesn't need to be too defined, but defined enough that you can tell it apart from the cloud. But...I don't know. I'm not an expert.

Did you use an action for the film effect? If so, which? I like it.

I also find the flag pole a bit too defined. It's a very atmospheric image and the flag is clear enough. I suppose you could have positioned the flag over the lighter clouds to make it stand out more? Really depends what you were after.

Ok here goes my critique, (be warned I have an untrained photographic eyeball and this is just what I personally like or dislike.) First off I LOVE the lighting you got through the clouds and contrary to many others I think the flag itself works well against the background. The only thing I would say is the lower edge of the flag looks a little blown out or overdone with the light behind it. If you could soften that edge up it would work a little better. I do also think that the pole definition is too pronounced and should be softened as well. I would also like to see you play with the levels a bit because the flag and pole look somewhat fake or super-imposed on the background (not sure how else to explain it.) All qualms aside I really like the image and the composition.

JonMikal said:
when you say integrated, what are you referring to?

LOL, I knew I wouldn't be able to sneak it past you. :mrgreen: :lmao: :mrgreen: :lmao: I was actually hoping you would critique this shot for me.

Here are the originals:

POW2.jpg

POW3.jpg

So does it just suck?

I like the concept. The cloud image flip is good. I suggest taking it one step further and inverting the cloud image to it horizontal opposite to sort of silouette the flag and the light rays may put more visual emphisis on the flag.

Most reactions

Back