Powershot G7 Accessory choices.

laguano

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been looking for a lens and a hotshoe for the Canon G7, i plan to take them to a concert, (i am being offered a press pass) what would you suggest i buy? Due to the fact this is my first time acquiring these accessories :p

EDIT:
Will the 18-55 Lens be compatible with the G7?

Welcome to the forum.

The G7 has a built-in lens...and therefore, you can't buy another lens to put on it. You can buy filters or 'adaptors' but those really are not the best quality.

The 18-55 lens is compatible with the EOS digital SLR cameras.

Regarding the "hotshoe".

I assume you are asking about flash compatibility. To my knowledge all EX line of flashes from Canon are compatible. My EOS 550EX works just fine (actually amazingly well as a bounce) with my G5. If you are planning to do extensive flash photography, I highly recommend getting an external flash. The internal flash drains the internal battery quickly and does not provide a nice result. Since the G7's battery is smaller than previous G-series cameras, I would imagine that an external flash is almost a necessity when shooting indoors.

Used: 420EX and its larger brother the 550EX
New: 480EX and its larger brother the 580EX.

Welcome to the forum.

The G7 has a built-in lens...and therefore, you can't buy another lens to put on it. You can buy filters or 'adaptors' but those really are not the best quality.

The 18-55 lens is compatible with the EOS digital SLR cameras.

Well, i did seem to find that these lenses where for the G7:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Canon-TC-DC58C-Converter-Digital-Camera/dp/B000JILHF0/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-9344137-9969242?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1180476439&sr=8-1"]Teleconverter lens[/ame]
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Canon-WC-DC58B-Converter-Digital-Camera/dp/B000JILHFU/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-9344137-9969242?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1180476446&sr=8-1%5Dwide"][/ame][ame="http://www.amazon.com/Canon-WC-DC58B-Converter-Digital-Camera/dp/B000JILHFU/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-9344137-9969242?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1180476446&sr=8-1"]wide[/ame] converter lens

would the Wide converter lens be good for a concert? (I know i would need the adapter for the lenses)
also, would the Speedlite 220EX work well with the G7? because i heard it is almost inferior to the REBEL's flash, Does this quality apply to the G7 too?

EDIT: The G7 is not an EOS DSLR, it is a High-end (i think Compact DSLR) camera.

The 220EX is the lowest end of the Canon E-TTL flash line. It was designed to be compact and inexpensive. Unfortunately, it also the weakest and least featured. The performance of the flash will be the same whether mounted to a high end EOS DSLR or your G7.

of course the quality won't change on another camera, i mean, that hotshoe was said to be about equivalent to the REBEL's Flash, which would make it a horrible choice with a REBEL, but i'm asking, is the quality of the hotshoe better than the flash of the G7, which would make it useful to buy.

Would the Teleconverter lens be good?

The telephoto will get you closer, the wide angle will let you take photos in cramped areas without having to back up as much. You need an adapter to use both.

Well, i did seem to find that these lenses where for the G7:

Teleconverter lens
wide converter lens
Those are the filters/adapters that I was referring to. There is a big difference between actually changing the lens and adding something to the front of your existing lens. I can see where the wide angle one might be handy but instead of the telephoto one, you might be just as good off to crop your images tighter.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back