Pretty Newbie question but don't want to mess up my new lenses

I never understood why some pros (j.i.p) get mad when beginners by nice equipment...why does it matter? if you have the money and can afford it why WOULDN'T you buy the best you can get? I bought the best I could get and that was a rebel xs. If i could afford a 5d Mark II i would've bought that in a heartbeat. Doesn't make any sense to me. And I'll be first to admit I'm jealous of people with nice equipment, no matter if they're pro or new, but never would I hold it against them. Shortpballer, ignore the dude. People make money so they can buy stuff. Weird concept huh.

:thumbup:

I say if you can afford it, go for it. I am definately a noob and the only shot I ever posted would be considered a snapshot at best... but I worked my a** off in college so I could afford some of the things I want.... and that will soon be some nice gear. Besides just about everyone here says nice glass stays nice for a long time, so why not invest in the good stuff from the beginning rather than replacing cheap stuff later?

I'd agree. I've gone through a lot of stuff. And I definitely don't buy my stuff new EVER. I have found everything used on craigslist. And every time I have bought and re-sold a lens I have done it by making a profit. So why not buy a whole bunch play with them and make some money too... anyhow, I went to my local shop today. And the guy there was of NO help at all. I was completely disappointed with George's camera in San Diego. He didn't know what he was talking about. So I'm back to square one. I had brought up the lens pen thing and he said its pointless because it gets dirty after a few lens cleanings... I think I might just buy a blower and a new microfiber along with some lens cleaning solution. The blower to get off all the loose dirt and the microfiber and cleaning solution for the smudges and fingerprints etc.

I keep the pen with me as more of a convenience when I am out shooting. If I need to clean it quickly I am able to. I have a rocket blower as well. You have a good idea getting the blower (because you can also clean you sensor) and getting a new cloth. I would still look into a lens pen. I got mine with a few other items from B&H and I think it only added like $10 so it's worth it.

:thumbup:

I say if you can afford it, go for it. I am definately a noob and the only shot I ever posted would be considered a snapshot at best... but I worked my a** off in college so I could afford some of the things I want.... and that will soon be some nice gear. Besides just about everyone here says nice glass stays nice for a long time, so why not invest in the good stuff from the beginning rather than replacing cheap stuff later?

I'd agree. I've gone through a lot of stuff. And I definitely don't buy my stuff new EVER. I have found everything used on craigslist. And every time I have bought and re-sold a lens I have done it by making a profit. So why not buy a whole bunch play with them and make some money too... anyhow, I went to my local shop today. And the guy there was of NO help at all. I was completely disappointed with George's camera in San Diego. He didn't know what he was talking about. So I'm back to square one. I had brought up the lens pen thing and he said its pointless because it gets dirty after a few lens cleanings... I think I might just buy a blower and a new microfiber along with some lens cleaning solution. The blower to get off all the loose dirt and the microfiber and cleaning solution for the smudges and fingerprints etc.

I keep the pen with me as more of a convenience when I am out shooting. If I need to clean it quickly I am able to. I have a rocket blower as well. You have a good idea getting the blower (because you can also clean you sensor) and getting a new cloth. I would still look into a lens pen. I got mine with a few other items from B&H and I think it only added like $10 so it's worth it.

I'm going to order a gary fong diffuser in the next day or so off either amazon or bh... and I wanted to get a cleaning kit that has everything I want. it seems the kits with everything are either really expensive or really cheap stuff inside them...

I'm going to order a gary fong diffuser in the next day or so off either amazon or bh... and I wanted to get a cleaning kit that has everything I want. it seems the kits with everything are either really expensive or really cheap stuff inside them...

I just bought one of those diffusers to shoot a wedding. It kicks major ass.

As for cleaning, I keep a microfiber cloth and solution in a seal-able plastic tube to keep dust away, and they haven't let me down yet. I also have a big pack of pec-pads at home to make sure I have dust free cloths.

They're also good for cleaning the sensor in conjunction with this kit, but that's definitely not for the faint of heart.

I never understood why some pros (j.i.p) get mad when beginners by nice equipment...why does it matter? if you have the money and can afford it why WOULDN'T you buy the best you can get? I bought the best I could get and that was a rebel xs. If i could afford a 5d Mark II i would've bought that in a heartbeat. Doesn't make any sense to me. And I'll be first to admit I'm jealous of people with nice equipment, no matter if they're pro or new, but never would I hold it against them. Shortpballer, ignore the dude. People make money so they can buy stuff. Weird concept huh.

J.I.P. is a pro?

:lmao:

Well let's see I shot weddings for 2 different studios fro 6-7 years and before that I worked for 4 different newspapers but that's a neat smiley anyway. By the way I have no problem with your gear buy whatever you want man it just seems like quite a kit for a first digital camera camera.

I think everyones first camera should be the absolute best they can afford. What is the point of learning on something that operates the same way as something more expensive but with less performance? Costs more in the long run.

On topic, I use a blower/brush (removable brush) then a microfiber cloth.....unless I am on location shooting rodeos/horseracing. Then I just blow air across the front element with my mouth and use my t-shirt corner. I have zero scratches on my lenses. It appears to me that the glass and coatings aren't as fragile as other people make them out to be. I treat my gear like a tool, but I don't abuse it.

Most reactions

Back