Print sizing/ Borders?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by B Kennedy, May 28, 2009.

1. B Kennedy

B Kennedy TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm looking for some advice on print sizes. Is it common to print with a white border around the pictures say 1/4" for ease of client's framing and not having to cut into the picture? I know when I print my landscapes to be framed I make sure that the entire photo is in view (so I print with a border). The only thing that sucks about that though is that then I can't print a 5x7 on a 5x7 paper, which means now im measuring/cutting to get that border. Anyone else deal with this? Thanks

2. manaheim

manaheim Jedi Bunnywabbit Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    When you frame you should certainly assume you'll lose a bit to the edges. (unless you buy the all glass frames that I like to buy)

That being said, if you have important things that close to the border you may want to be a bit less aggressive on your initial crops ... regardless of frame intention.

3. B Kennedy

B Kennedy TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    So then its safe to say that you print to the full picture size with the intention that when they are framed they will lose a bit of the image?

4. manaheim

manaheim Jedi Bunnywabbit Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I do, yes, and I am usually not concerned about what I will lose because it tends to be negligable and has no real effect on the image.

5. Torus34

Torus34 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    '... for ease of client's framing ...'

This seems to be the operative phrase. If the client will be using a commercially-available matte, you have your answer: printed area dim's [l & w] should be about 1/4" larger than the matte opening.

6. dcclark

dcclark TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Essentially all mats assume you will cut off about 1/8 inch on each side, so that the visible area is 1/4 inch less in each direction. If your photo has essential details within 1/8 inch of the edge, you may have other issues to deal with. :) Printing a white border can actually cause trouble, because the border may be visible if you don't position the mat precisely correctly.

7. B Kennedy

B Kennedy TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Great comments, thanks guys. And i think I will just print to the actual size from now on minus the border, except if I'm matting them myself.