Printer [related] Questions..

JayJay65

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
"Shipment 1 Expected Delivery: 10/09/2007 Status: Researching"

Whats that? oh.. my Epson R1800 delivery status.. :mrgreen:

Enough sillyness, okay, heres the problem Ive got.. Since im new to printing my photos, do they have to be a certain size? I have 8.5" x 11" paper, and I am not sure how I go about printing.. Although I feel completely stupid cause im quite clueless as to being new to printing (first time) im still very very happy and excited.. Ive been waiting for this for about 6 months, and im finally able to do it [print my work].. Are there any "rules" to printing so that my prints dont get messed up?

Basiclly, do the sizes of the pictures need to be a certain size to print on 8.5" x 11" paper?

Thanks, you guys are always a help,
Jesse

PS: Im not relying on this for help alone, im going to download the manual for my printer and read up on it asap

If you are using 8x11.5 inch paper you can print up to that size of anything that will fill that size.

8x10, 2-5x7, whatever size you buy for it. I think that 13" wide is max isn't it? You can buy 4x6 photo paper too.

depending on the program, you can tell it to print different sizes like an 8x10 or several smaller photos on one 8.5x11 page. Some photo editing programs will alow you to save a photo as a sertain size like 8x10, 5x7, and 4x6 and then you can have the printer print those sizes.

I hope it works out for you and that you enjoy it:)

Oh, are you using the glossy paper?

Now you need to buy a nice accurate paper cutter, so you can make your prints into something that will fit into standard frames.

Many software packages will print the cutting guides, but if you can't do that, just print on 8 1/2 x 11 and cut down to what you need. Or you can print two 5 x 7s on a page and cut them down to size.

About the only thing I print on my own printers is contact sheets and test prints. Maybe some stuff for fun. Otherwise, it just doesn't pay to buy the expensive printer and expensive paper and expensive ink refills. Just take the digital files to a place that has professional photo printers.

There are advantages to having your own printer, Complete control of color and if you want you can make prints at 3 am. :) You don't have to drive down to the nearest photo shop and possibly wait in line for a machine. You don't have to worry that the place doesn't take care of their machines and chemicals and your prints will come out flawed. If you are selling photos, it makes sense to own your fine printer.

The store closest to my office has had prints come out with strange colors, black blobs on the back and the machine looks like someone beat it with a stick. Some days the card reader is loose. I drive a little further to a place that has good technicians and people who care about their equipment.

In my opinion (note OPINION) for prints that I make for my own use, albums, gifts and to hang on the wall, it's less expensive to go to the store.

I just can't see paying a few hundred dollars so I don't have to drive six blocks (or even if it was a few miles) to make a 19c 4x6 print, on their top quality machines, that are always being updated. Heck, even at $2.99 for an 8 x 10, it's going to take a bunch of prints (100 or more and then I'll need to buy more and more of that expensive ink, and expensive photo paper) to offset the cost of making prints at the office.

Since you already took the initiative and invested, you might think about a Continuous Inking System that will save you time and money, and pay for itself in a short time. You just refill the tanks when it gets low.

Most reactions

Back