Probably not worth C&C

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by tom beard, Jul 23, 2009.

1. tom beard

tom beard TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I've been with TPF for some time now, and can finally post. So, I'm doing this because I can. A foggy day in the mountains. The inspiration for this was LeFoto's "Lower Saxony #6". Shot with a ten yr old Olympus 3.3 dig/zoom. I posted one in color and the other in B&W and think the B&W looks gimmicky. I'm a retired documentary photographer and have to re-learn everything. I'll post more when I get the real camera I'm saving for.

Tom Beard

Attached Files:

2. kreuzberg

kreuzberg TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think the colour one would have been lovely if the fog wasnt so thick, it mutes the colour a bit too much.

I'm only a beginner though so what do I know :lol:

3. choudhrysaab

choudhrysaab TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    first pic is better for sure ... a bit of color looks good!

4. rufus5150

rufus5150 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You could try pulling in the blacks a little bit and it might improve the first image.

5. rufus5150

rufus5150 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    So if you have photoshop, try a levels adjustment with 46/0.94/232 on photo #1. (I'd post an edit but you're flagged as not allowing.) I think you'd be satisfied with the results. This de-hazes the foreground about ripe with the ROT (which wasn't intentional, but hey...).

6. Billhyco

Billhyco TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    first let me say I think if you want C&C then EVERY photo is worth it. For now, C&C is really my only means of learning and helping me figure out what I am doing wrong. Granted you have to understand there is a lot of personal feeling with forum C&C but I love the fact that I can get so many different perspectives all at once.

secondly I like #1 as well, enhance the blacks and I think it would pretty decent. I only wish I had a foggy area like such to work with.

7. tom beard

tom beard TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The reason I thought this photo wasn't worth it, is that I'm not able to take advice to fix it because I don't have the technology. Lousy 3.3 MP camera and no software to use to apply your good advice. Until I can get a good dslr (where I can probably fix a lot in the camera) and software, it's just a snapshot. As to the fog, I live in the mountains at 6,000 ft. (in So. California no less), and in spring we can be in a cloud for a week at a time. Several weeks ago some body got advice about free imaging software. I searched back about five weeks, and couldn't find it. Have you any suggestions? I'm saving every penny I can to get a decent Canon or Nikon. Thanks for your input, it's really appreciated.

Tom Beard

PS: My last MRI showed evidence of the lobotomy. The rest was blank.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  8. Bitter Jeweler

Bitter Jeweler Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Gimp

9. Samanax

Samanax TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  10. Sachphotography

Sachphotography TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    NEVER SAY NEVER
    Just FYI. It is not good to rely on the camera for photo fixes. I have never use on camera fixes. Ever. Though I am sure some people may use them. IDK. Me.. I do not rec omened it but hey....to each his own. C&C... I would crank the contrast and make it B&W and then soften the image slightly. But thats me....

Cheers

11. Baaaark

Baaaark TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    These photos are good! They're better than a lot of stuff I put on here, so if anything don't feel like you're alone in that respect.

So I'm going to be the black (and white) sheep and say I like the second more. But the biggest issue I have with it isn't the fog. I like the fog! I would say its the foreground. It looks like you shot this at head or chest level, and maybe, perhaps maybe, it would look better shot at a lower angle (like around the knees or so). This might help it look more ominous, too. I don't know this for a fact, but my point is to try out different angles. There are so many photos taken at eye level, that taking a shot at a different angle will a lot of times add interest to the photo by itself. Taking a photo with a different perspective won't make it great by itself, but its a good start.

Overall I'd say you did a great job for your skill level.

Edited to add: You could try (if you feel the same way I do) cropping the bottom of the photo a little. Maybe take out some of the ground to put the emphasis on that SPOOKY house in the background.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2009