problem with lens or body?

enerlevel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hi,
just ordered a nikon d600 and a nikon 35mm f2D from ebay.
i am using M mode with auto iso.
when i take a pic with f2, the image looks to be fine except for the softness which is typical 35mm f2 wideopen.

as i increase the aperture, the image keeps getting brighter. for example at f12, the camera chooses iso 12800 but the image taken is completly white..

is this a camera fault or lens? its def. not the settings but more of a physical fault.

Sounds like camera but I don't know. Try aperture mode and run through the range with the same subject; stay with one ISO..

If your lens is telling the camer it's at F12 but the blades don't move i.e. still at f2 it will give you a white picture. Try it in live view to see if the aperture blades actually adjust.

You have to turn off auto ISO. Then you can determine whether or not there is problem.

ok i shall check the camera and lens without auto iso and get back.
thanks

Make sure you have the Aperture ring LOCKED on the lens.
assuming you are using the body's dials to "adjust"

ok i switched off the auto iso and selected iso 2500.
the pic at f2 is the same as f8 or f12. with no effect to exposure and dof.
but when i switch on auto iso, the pic becomes white at higher aperture.
i trued live view, no effect on aperture
yes i have lovked the apetrur ring otherwise it gives me fEE error

Sounds like what happened to MY 35mm f/2 AF-D...the lens diaphragm has conked out...the camera and its exposure measuring system might "think" that the lens is going to shoot at f/8 or f/11, but the lens diapgragm mechanism is STAYING wide-open, at f/2, for every shot, thus grossly over-exposing.

Most reactions

Back