Problem with Live View Shooting Tethered ?

Roger3006

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.midsouthgunslinger.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello Everyone,

I shoot a D800 in a studio tethered. I use Camera Control Pro 2 or Control My Nikon. For example, When stopped down to says F8 the image, using my modeling lights is so dark it is useless. I can open the lens up and it is visible which defeats the purpose. I do table top product photography. I would like to position the object while viewing it on a large monitor and remotely trigger the camera.

Is there a setting I an missing or just cant find?

It is time consuming to walk back to the camera or computer and correct the exposure for the shot which renders the function useless.

Thanks for your input.

Roger

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Roger,

I also use a D800/ControlMyNikon tethered to a laptop and don't have the issue you describe in either manual or aperture mode..

The "live view" on the laptop does not show "exposure". You need to take a shot/trigger the strobe(s) to evaluate that...

To be clear, I can change from F8 to F16 and the image in live view does not change.

Can you post a screen shot of the main window of ControlMyNikon ?

Cheers, Don

Are you using a fully manual lens?

In manual mode the camera should focus at the lens' widest aperture and then stop down as the photo is taken.

If the lens is physically set to f8 then you loose the light gathering of the wider aperture for focusing and composing.

I use automatic lenses. It should not effect what I am seeing in Live View. Me camera stays on manual.

I wonder is there is a brightness adjustment for the camera display that would effect it?

My camera is tethered to a desktop with two large monitors.

I know what my exposure should be when I am repositioning the object. Live view changes when I change the F stop via my software. The brightness does not change when I look through the viewfinder which tells me the lens is wide open.

Something is strange or there is a setting someplace I am missing.

Thanks,

Roger

Last edited:
Nice catch Mike, I never thought about manual lenses as I sold mine years ago :)

Roger > if you can't post a screen shot, can you post what your camera/lens settings are and your lighting set up ?

Cheers, Don

Most reactions

New Topics

Back