Pullbacks and set-ups - HTH =)

FarrahJ

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I get asked a lot about my set up, so I thought I would share some pullbacks. Hope someone finds it helpful! =)

I use 100% natural light...and I'm spoiled with 300 days of AWESOME light...so that probably helps! =)

FAKE WALL & FLOOR:

I have the savage porta-stand and seamless paper (Thunder gray), a roll-up bamboo floor mat (which doesn't seem available anymore from Lakeside, but check ebay) and a skirting board that I bought at Home Depot. I have hardwood floors naturally...and sometimes it, but it depends on the way I want the lines to go.

fakefloor1.jpg

fakefloor.jpg

Final image:
webday6-3.jpg

WHITE BACKGROUND:

I use my stand with white paper and a sheet of plexiglass that I got from Home Depot:
pb5.jpg

PB3.jpg

SOOC.jpg

FINAL image:

webClaire112509.jpg

NEWBORNS:

I tend to use a little more flat lighting for newborns because that's what *I* like...but here is an example of my newborn set up. Beanbag with a poppy on top with a blanket clamped to my counter (you could use your stand to clamp the blanket to if you wanted)
PB2-1.jpg

PB1-1.jpg

FINAL image:
webDay3.jpg

Last edited:
Farrah,

Thanks for sharing that. Pretty normal and for the most part readily available stuff, but it does the job because your shots are always very well done. :thumbup:

Natural lighting... Wonderful. You have inspired me. I have been wanting to turn my extra room into a studio, but have dreaded the need for a B800 , softboxes, and umbrellas. I think I could reflect some awesome natural light in my house though. You are like the Martha Stuart of photography.

Farrah thank you so much for showing us this, your work is amazing! I wish I had such good natural light in my house, I'm sort of forced to using studio lights. Not that its a bad thing but its definitely costly lol. Thanks again Farrah!

Do you have a flickr stream / website / gallery I could subscribe too. I'd love to see your other work.

Whats your opinion on Paper Vs Muslin backdrops?

Thanks for posting up the pullbacks, I'll have a baby to practice on in the not so distant future.

I've been trying to work with the bean bag/boppy pillow/blanket setup and I just can't get it down. Every time I do that type of shot I hate the results I get back. I think part of my problem is the blankets I've been using are all too thin and they create way to many wrinkles. Even when I try and straighten them out they still get wrinkles which then results in shadows and I really don't want that in the background. I also keep trying with white blankets which doesn’t really help in my attempts to kill the wrinkles/shadows. I’ve been to almost every store in the area looking for the right blanket but they all suck lol.

Whats your opinion on Paper Vs Muslin backdrops?

I've never used Muslin, so I can't really give an opinion on it. The paper is cheap and this is my hobby, so since I don't make money taking pics, I guess I can't really justify spending $200 on the muslin backgrounds I like.

Also...generally speaking, I prefer the smooth even look of the paper.

I think part of my problem is the blankets I've been using are all too thin and they create way to many wrinkles.

Layer them...stack like 5-6 blankets (or towels) under the top blanket to reduce the wrinkles

Most reactions

New Topics

Back