Purchase advice

"He didn't mention making movies or otherwise an explicit need for the extra features the P&S cameras offer."

"Look at what he wants to do. Also does the D40 have wireless flash, movies, computer control, remote control, voice memo, flip-out/tilt-up LCDs, video out connectors, ultra high-speed shooting, time-lapse, live view, built-in flash, tracking, built-in Image Stabilization, and etc.? It has some of those I guess, but just filtering the list by built in IS and time lapse whittles it down to just 4 dSLR cameras."

Thanks to everyone for the feedback

Two things I did not mention
1. I am visually impaired (no sight in right eye, 20/20 but limited peripheral vision in left eye due to glaucoma)
2. I curently own a Sony DCR-TRV240 Digital Camcorder.

Based on all the thought provoking advice you all so kindly provided, here is what I feel I should do. Purchase a $350-400 digital camera with the capabilities mentioned by Bifurcator. Then later, (after hanging around here and picking up useful tips) purchase a decent DSLR. What you all think about my decision?

Free2BFree

BTW

Am I better off getting a camera that comes with a rechargable battery pack?
Free2BFree

Rechargeables are less convenient since you can't buy them everywhere like AA or AAA batteries and they cost a lot (unless you buy a bunch of the cheap ones on ebay and amazon like i do) but, from what I've heard, the proprietary rechargeables help with flash performance and maybe even other areas of camera performance. All of my current cameras use proprietary batteries and I have found that the smaller ones that are in smaller cameras (like my Panasonic FX35 and my old Canon SD630) don't last more than 2-300 shots even without using the flash on most shots (I don't like using flash unless I have to) while the bigger batteries in my Panasonic FZ7 and Nikon D40 can easily last 400 shots, and all of the proprietary rechargeables (even the little ones) hold up pretty well over time, meaning they don't lose their charge sitting in my car for a month. From what I've heard, most AA/AAA rechargeables don't hold up like that.

"He didn't mention making movies or otherwise an explicit need for the extra features the P&S cameras offer."

"Look at what he wants to do. Also does the D40 have wireless flash, movies, computer control, remote control, voice memo, flip-out/tilt-up LCDs, video out connectors, ultra high-speed shooting, time-lapse, live view, built-in flash, tracking, built-in Image Stabilization, and etc.? It has some of those I guess, but just filtering the list by built in IS and time lapse whittles it down to just 4 dSLR cameras."

Thanks to everyone for the feedback

Two things I did not mention
1. I am visually impaired (no sight in right eye, 20/20 but limited peripheral vision in left eye due to glaucoma)
2. I curently own a Sony DCR-TRV240 Digital Camcorder.

Based on all the thought provoking advice you all so kindly provided, here is what I feel I should do. Purchase a $350-400 digital camera with the capabilities mentioned by Bifurcator. Then later, (after hanging around here and picking up useful tips) purchase a decent DSLR. What you all think about my decision?

Free2BFree
I think you are making a much better decision than most people who just walk into the store and walk out with whatever's on sale. What I usually do before buying a camera is search it on amazon and look at the pictures people have taken with it and the customer reviews. I also usually look at the pro reviews on sites like dpreview but take it with a grain of salt since I won't be needing "perfect" images or lightening fast performance. You may very well be more than happy with the Canon S5IS. I'd also consider the likes of the Panasonic FZ18 and Nikon P80.

Rechargeables are less convenient since you can't buy them everywhere like AA or AAA batteries and they cost a lot (unless you buy a bunch of the cheap ones on ebay and amazon like i do) but, from what I've heard, the proprietary rechargeables help with flash performance and maybe even other areas of camera performance. All of my current cameras use proprietary batteries and I have found that the smaller ones that are in smaller cameras (like my Panasonic FX35 and my old Canon SD630) don't last more than 2-300 shots even without using the flash on most shots (I don't like using flash unless I have to) while the bigger batteries in my Panasonic FZ7 and Nikon D40 can easily last 400 shots, and all of the proprietary rechargeables (even the little ones) hold up pretty well over time, meaning they don't lose their charge sitting in my car for a month. From what I've heard, most AA/AAA rechargeables don't hold up like that.

I am sorry ... I framed my question incorrectly. I was referring to cameras that come with a battery pack that can be charged with an ac/dc adapter.

Free2BFree

I am sorry ... I framed my question incorrectly. I was referring to cameras that come with a battery pack that can be charged with an ac/dc adapter.

Free2BFree
I was referring to cameras with batteries that can be charged with a charger that either plugs directly into the wall socket or has a cable that runs from the charger to the wall. Please rephrase your question about the batteries/chargers if this is not what you're asking about :wink:.

OK
Some cameras (Like the Sony Mavica) have a battery pack that works similar to those that come with Video Cameras and Laptop computers. This is what I had in mind when I asked if anyone knows which cameras come with a battery pack.

BTW

Am I better off getting a camera that comes with a rechargable battery pack?
Free2BFree

If you mean it charges up inside the camera then yes - if you use the camera in the house (desktop/tabletop) much. If you don't then it's kinda meaningless. So far for every digital camera I've owned both P&S SLR form-factor and also actual dSLRs, I've always gotten at least one extra battery, and the AC adaptor. I think they ALL come with the charger. The AC adaptor is great for learning the camera (usually takes a few days) and taking test shots and stuff. It's also good if you're doing desktop/tabletop times lapse, macro, or copy work.

The extra battery is just about a must IMO.

Free2BFree

It's your decision so it's as good as you are and that's probably pretty great! Enjoy whatever you get and make sure you post some of your stuff up here when get to know the camera a little. It's always fun to check out images - from all levels of users!

See ya in the threads man. :D

OK my many wise, thoughtful and kind friends

I finally bit the bullet and purchased the Canon G9 Digital Camera. If nothing else I believe I made a smart decision as far as getting the best possible price. Best Buy had it for $499.00. On a whim I checked Circuit City and got it there for 439.00. BTW, I passed on the extended warrranty they offered for 149.00 for two years. Was that a smart move?

Hopefully my next post will include some pics taken with my new toy :)

I can't begin to tell you all how much I appreciated the patience you showed me as a agonized over what to do. Thanks again.
Free2bFree

PS. I also bought an extra battery pack.

The G9 is a nice little cam. You'll like it. And when you are ready for more and have a budget that compliments those interests just sell the G9 for $350 and pretend you rented it at $150 a year. :D

http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=UUSPT7YnsS8

Looking forward to seeing your pics man! Enjoying yourself and taking neat-o pics is what it's all about. :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back