What bridge camera for travel, urban and people photography

amxc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Years ago I used to shot with a Canon AE1, slides.
I want to get a bridge camera, now, for occasional photography, landscapes, urban and people (travel photography). No sports, no animals. I don't what to carry several lenses.
My first concern is if bridge camera zooms perform similar (in terms of sharpness, definition) than those on DSLR or mirrorless.
I was thinking of a 1inch sensor, where options seem restricted to Sony and Panasonic Lumix .
Sony RX10 IV costs 1500EUR, a price too high for me. So Lumix FZ2000 seems to be the choice (1000 EUR)
May I get some opinions of more skilled people of what camera to get, as well as which editing software (I read that Adobe Lightroom is widely used in landscape pictures, but I am totally new to digital photography and edition. Is Gimp a reasonable option?)

Looks that Lumix FZ2000 doesn't have wifi or bluetooth. Does it mean cable is the only way to upload pictures to a computer or cloud?

Thanks in advance

I'm honestly impressed with the Cannon pocket cameras. My SHX740 will do 40x real optical zoom, not digital zoom. It has digital zoom on top of the 40x, but I've never used or needed it. Cannon quality glass and Cannon AI, hard to beat in a pocket camera. Most of their better lines have Wi-Fi and blue tooth, at about half of your budget.

It's served me well as a travel camera, taken good quality pictures and video of places I've had to pack light and quick. I even have a tiny but stable pocket tripod to go with it.

On the Lumix you probably can also just change out the memory card to copy to a pc, etc. Cables and WiFi are much slower to move lots of large files with.

The best bridge camera available is without a doubt the Sony RX10 mark 4, its not cheap but you only get what you pay for.

There are folks I know who use the Nikon P1000 and get great results with it.

I'm honestly impressed with the Cannon pocket cameras. My SHX740 will do 40x real optical zoom, not digital zoom. It has digital zoom on top of the 40x, but I've never used or needed it. Cannon quality glass and Cannon AI, hard to beat in a pocket camera. Most of their better lines have Wi-Fi and blue tooth, at about half of your budget.

It's served me well as a travel camera, taken good quality pictures and video of places I've had to pack light and quick. I even have a tiny but stable pocket tripod to go with it.

On the Lumix you probably can also just change out the memory card to copy to a pc, etc. Cables and WiFi are much slower to move lots of large files with.
thanks, Canon is a reliable brand. My concern is for 16mp instead of 20mp, but looks like this might be not the main trait for image quality

Thank you all for your replies and advice. I will keep browsing. Besides, I will check a budget evil with a ample zoom (24 or 35 to 200 or 300, eq 35)

Years ago I used to shot with a Canon AE1, slides.
I want to get a bridge camera, now, for occasional photography, landscapes, urban and people (travel photography). No sports, no animals. I don't what to carry several lenses.
My first concern is if bridge camera zooms perform similar (in terms of sharpness, definition) than those on DSLR or mirrorless.
I was thinking of a 1inch sensor, where options seem restricted to Sony and Panasonic Lumix .
Sony RX10 IV costs 1500EUR, a price too high for me. So Lumix FZ2000 seems to be the choice (1000 EUR)
May I get some opinions of more skilled people of what camera to get, as well as which editing software (I read that Adobe Lightroom is widely used in landscape pictures, but I am totally new to digital photography and edition. Is Gimp a reasonable option?)

Looks that Lumix FZ2000 doesn't have wifi or bluetooth. Does it mean cable is the only way to upload pictures to a computer or cloud?

Thanks in advance
You can use a cardreader to get the photos from the memory card to the compter. You put the card in the reader and plug the reader into the computer. They are tiny and my Uni (brand) works perfectly and takes both standard and micro sd cards, and costs about $10 with a lifetime guarantee.

From what you said you want I don't get going with a bridge camera, I suspect a bridge camera will be cumbersome and add weight. I finally spent more money on my last P&S and went with a Panasonic ZS 100. Very light, 25-250 zoom, carry in a pouch on my belt and takes photo's that rival my D7000! Can't say enough about this camera! Have had much less expensive P&S and they all failed in about a year. Got my ZS 100 used from B&H for a bit under $500!

From what you said you want I don't get going with a bridge camera, I suspect a bridge camera will be cumbersome and add weight. I finally spent more money on my last P&S and went with a Panasonic ZS 100. Very light, 25-250 zoom, carry in a pouch on my belt and takes photo's that rival my D7000! Can't say enough about this camera! Have had much less expensive P&S and they all failed in about a year. Got my ZS 100 used from B&H for a bit under $500!
Thanks, I am a bit reluctant to P&S (no objective reason) but, anyway, I will take a look to that Pan and Sony RX100

Most reactions

New Topics

Back