Question re: selling fine art

jowensphoto

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a few art galleries near me that I'm interested in consigning work to. Aside from art galleries, I'm pretty clueless as to where else I could submit pieces. Where are some other places that might be interested in displaying photography? FWIW, I am located in the Northern VA area (my stomping grounds consist of pretty much everywhere from WV-DC) if anyone knows of places specific to my location.

I saw that Manaheim sold a print that was on display at a hospital. Is there a typical protocol for submitting to non-gallery shows/displays?

In my city just about every (locally owned) restaurant and coffee shop sells artwork. Maybe check your favorite places and ask if you can display some work!

yep.. restaurants, coffee shops, libraries, building foyers ( a lot of the buildings in the downtown area show art), hospitals, gift shops, etc... many want a commission, some dont! I have even had stuff up in Florists, and Dentists and Doctor's offices!

I had thought about that! We have a local cupcake shop and I thought about offering to take some quality photos of their products to hang at the shop. It's kind of bare-bones and could use some color!

I'll check with florists too, I'd almost do it for trade (prints for flowers! lol).

I have no personal experience, but I have friends and relatives who have had their works displayed in galleries and in offices. It seems to be mostly a matter of networking and self-promotion and politics; who you know seems more effective than actual talent, in other words. Once you get some recognition by the "art community" in your area (a gallery show, media spotlight, award, etc.) run with it! It's a very schmoozy scene with a lot of phony people and not for the bashful and modest, unfortunately. Sorry if this sounds discouraging. There are plenty of exceptions I'm sure. Good luck!

It's a pretty thankless gig. I've never even attempted it, but my father hung stuff in local coffee shops and so forth 20 years ago and reported that it was a thankless gig. You pull together a lot of work, nicely presented, and then you sell.. nothing, or very little. The coffee shop gets some free decor. His work was extremely accessible and attractive stuff, so I am pretty sure it wasn't a problem with the work. How often do you see someone walking out of a coffee shop with a piece of artwork?

I think you have to approach the "local gathering place" sales with a complete lack of ego, because any that you have will be crushed.

Galleries? I know zip, but I bet the gallery staff have some idea!

Most reactions

Back