Quick Questions ~ Lens, Buying Today!!!

mimartin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.michellesphotographyonline.com
I'm getting my new stuff today and had another question about the lens. Wouldn't a 55-200mm f/4-5.6 be better than an 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3? I'm also getting a 50mm f/1.8. I figured the 1st one would focus better at 200mm.

Or... a 70-300mm f/4-5.6. What about coverage for 50-70mm, will I miss it?

BTW, this is for a Nikon D80

never used any of those lenses, but the 18-200 might also have more distortion at 200 ... .. but again, i did not use any of those.

the 5.6 and 6.3 are not too much of a difference i would guess though

Many cameras are rated for Auto focus to F5.6...so yes, it might be a little tough to focus at 200mm on the 18-200.

You probably won't miss the gap from 50mm to 70mm.

When considering a zoom lens, you have to compare convenience and image quality. For the most part, the greater the zoom range (18-200 is about 10X), the more compromises in the design...and the worse the image quality.

There are of course exceptions...but a good zoom lens with a wide range will often be more expensive.

I guess that I'm going to get the Nikon 50mm f/1.8 and the Quantaray 70-300mm DI f/4-5.6 AF Zoom Lens. Thanks for the help! It will save me money too! Which is good since I'm so far over budget!

Ah...but the problem with that combo is that you are missing out on the wide end. 50mm on that camera is not very wide...it's not even really normal...it's more of a telephoto.

I don't want to confuse you...but why not just get the cheap kit lens...what is it, 18-55? I've heard good things about the 'other' Nikon kit lens...18-70mm...or something like that. Couple that with the 50mm F1.8 and you have a great starting kit. If you end up using the long end of the zoom (70mm) a lot, then consider a telephoto like the 70-300mm.

Ah...but the problem with that combo is that you are missing out on the wide end. 50mm on that camera is not very wide...it's not even really normal...it's more of a telephoto.

I don't want to confuse you...but why not just get the cheap kit lens...what is it, 18-55? I've heard good things about the 'other' Nikon kit lens...18-70mm...or something like that. Couple that with the 50mm F1.8 and you have a great starting kit. If you end up using the long end of the zoom (70mm) a lot, then consider a telephoto like the 70-300mm.

I image that I would use the zoom more than anything on the sports photography. That's 80% of my business. My zoom on my P&S is 10x.

You will certainly know what is best for you...I just know that I would miss having a wide FOV. I used to use a 50mm on my film SLR all the time...but now on a digital body...I find the 50mm much too long, a lot of the time.

Are these lenses made by Nikon, or are they a third party thing? If made by nikon, I think the 18-200 is also a VR lens which might make it more valuable than the other (assuming it's not VR).

I don't have a Nikon, but I've heard nothing but praises for the 18-200 VR lens.

Gosh y'all I'm about to go crazy! I just don't know what to get! I would like something lower than the 50mm. There are so many different 70-300mm lenses, I don't know which way is up! Aarrgh! O.K. I'm fine, really. Just had to get that out!

O.K. Now I'm looking at the Nikon 50mm f/1.8, and a combo kit with a Sigma 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 and a Sigma 70-300mm 4-5.6. Does that sound like it will cover everything? Does anyone have any experiences with any of these lenses?

You are going to make yourself crazy by overthinking this thing.

Get the 18-200mm and relax. You can leave one lens on the camera and do most everything you want. There is lots of time to get additional "specialty" lenses later when you really figure out what you need and want. The 18-200 will give you great flexibility without changing lenses all the time.

The 50mm is worthwhile because its cheap, optically good, and shoots well in low light. Its not necessary now, and you can add it later when you are ready.

If you go with the 70-200 you can't even shoot a group photo (the team, a kid and his buddy) without changing lenses. The 50mm is even too long for many indoor or close shots. I leave an 18-200 on my 30D most of the time, and use it all the way from all the way wide to all the way long. If I have time and need the very best possible shot at either extreme, I change lenses to an expensive specialty lens (ultra-wide zoom or fast telephoto zoom), but sometimes the shot opportunity is gone before you can think about changing lenses.

This will not be the last time you buy lenses in your life. To me, it makes the most sense to go for max flexibility up front, then add capability in certain areas as you find you need/want it.

Now shut up and buy something.

JD

P.S. just kidding about that last line

O.K. Now I'm looking at the Nikon 50mm f/1.8, and a combo kit with a Sigma 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 and a Sigma 70-300mm 4-5.6. Does that sound like it will cover everything? Does anyone have any experiences with any of these lenses?

Not sure on the price on the Sigma 28-80, but I would get the 17-70 f/2.8-? if you can. I originally had the nikon kit lenses in the two focal lengths you are looking at but found that 28mm wasn't wide enough all the time. So I just ordered the Sigma 17-70, 50mm nikkon and am keeping the nikon 70-300mm.

:thumbsup:

Just go buy something and use it for a while. Then you will have a better idea of that you want to get next.

Get the 18-200mm and relax. You can leave one lens on the camera and do most everything you want. There is lots of time to get additional "specialty" lenses later when you really figure out what you need and want. The 18-200 will give you great flexibility without changing lenses all the time.

The 50mm is worthwhile because its cheap, optically good, and shoots well in low light. Its not necessary now, and you can add it later when you are ready.

Now shut up and buy something.

That's what I needed! LOL! I do tend to over analize things. It's a big step for me and I don't want to buy something that I will be unhappy with, and I don't know much about this stuff. Thanks for your help! I didn't want the 18-200mm lens b/c of the f/3.5-6.3. I'm going to look around a little longer. I'm ready to my camera and start using it!!!

Best thing about buying lenses... especially if you still with the Nikkors...

You can get almost what you pay for them when you decide to sell them. They
don't really lose a lot of resale value on the open market. It's more like...renting. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back