Race Rocks Lighthouse

Marea

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Taken from a boat while out salmon fishing off the coast of British Columbia.

I like te ruggedness of the lighthouse and outbuildings. Interesting fact - there is still a lighthouse keeper that lives in the lighthouse (doesn't happen very often anymore) and he only leaves the tiny little rock outcrop island every month or so.

comments/critique/edits are welcome

88acb310.jpg

The original is below:

58C-RaceRocksLighthouseandOlympicMo.jpg

Last edited:
I am usually not a fan of photographs made to look older, however I have to tip my hat to you. If it is to be done, this is the way to do it. Great shot. All from a boat huh. Even more impressive given the overcast.

Not to say I don't like the original. The land just seems to go off the page with no point of focus, thus I prefer the pp image.

Lastly, please include shooting specifications for every shot posted for cc. This is a huge help. You know, ISO, aperture, shutter speed, etc.

-Nick

I like the processing, before I scrolled down and saw the original, I thought it was an old photo you scanned in! Very nice.

I am usually not a fan of photographs made to look older, however I have to tip my hat to you. If it is to be done, this is the way to do it. Great shot. All from a boat huh. Even more impressive given the overcast.

Not to say I don't like the original. The land just seems to go off the page with no point of focus, thus I prefer the pp image.

Lastly, please include shooting specifications for every shot posted for cc. This is a huge help. You know, ISO, aperture, shutter speed, etc.

-Nick

Thank you very much! Although I'm a big fan of playing with photoshop - I didn't actually do this edit myself. The gent who did it gave me a run down.

"used curves to increase contrast, converted to black and white, added noise to give it the "old photo" look, then dodge and burn for even more contrast"...

:)

Hope that helps!

Should have stated in my first post ... sorry!

Thank you very much! Although I'm a big fan of playing with photoshop - I didn't actually do this edit myself. The gent who did it gave me a run down.

"used curves to increase contrast, converted to black and white, added noise to give it the "old photo" look, then dodge and burn for even more contrast"...

:)

Hope that helps!

Should have stated in my first post ... sorry!

No, I'm sorry I should have been more specific. Not the post processing specifications, the shooting specifications. For example, ISO, aperture, shutter speed, etc.

And I meant what I said. This is one of the rare cases I like the older look on a photograph. Usually people force it. This does not feel forced and that's why it works. In my opinion of course.

-Nick

Very nice!!! I like it! ...And I liked it even more when I noticed the Canadian flag in there!!!!

;O)

Oh, and welcome!!!!

No, I'm sorry I should have been more specific. Not the post processing specifications, the shooting specifications. For example, ISO, aperture, shutter speed, etc.

And I meant what I said. This is one of the rare cases I like the older look on a photograph. Usually people force it. This does not feel forced and that's why it works. In my opinion of course.

-Nick
From now on I will do that! Cheers and thanks for your comments!

Very nice!!! I like it! ...And I liked it even more when I noticed the Canadian flag in there!!!!

;O)

Oh, and welcome!!!!
Oh, Canada, our home and native land... :)

Thanks very much!

very nice photo
and very nice editing, it really made the pic better!
You should see this place on a sunny day with your own eyes - it's like something out of a story or movie. Very cool.

Very good job making this look old. I like it better than the original.

Most reactions

Back