Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A few random bugs from today.

p575571591-4.jpg

p1050113065-4.jpg

p640595888-4.jpg

p919300653-4.jpg

Nates
I really like all the snaps you take Man! Its fantastic. I really wonder if these are possible with my cam canon SX20 IS :)

Thank you both. I don't know anything about the SX20 to know whether it's possible with that. I can say that they should be possible with ANY DSLR that can use a macro lens and tubes or TC's.

What's up with your lighting? These look flatter and lower in contrast than other recent work. Did you make some type of change? Am I suffering from 'senior moments'??

What's up with your lighting? These look flatter and lower in contrast than other recent work. Did you make some type of change? Am I suffering from 'senior moments'??

Good eye, Derrel....must be younger than you feel to catch that. I have had a habit in the past of overexposing my shots (too much flash). These were the first few shots that I took and I didn't use enough flash which caused them to come out pretty flat. I've gone away from TTL and using manual flash now....got it nailed down pretty good now, but didn't in these shots. Can't compensate for bad lighting in post....can brighten it some, but flat lighting is just going to be a brighter flat lighting.

Take a look at a few of my other recent posts in the past couple days (like the assassin's) and let me know if those look better...I'm thinking I've got it nailed down, but would love to have your eyes take a look at it since you noticed these.

Hey Nate,
I just got done reviewing the "assasins" series, and those have a very different look--appears that the asassins stuff has more flash-as-main light, and darker backgrounds. I thought it was interesting how you noticed the 50-60% keeper rate when upping the magny from 1 to 1.7 to 1 to 1.9x--not much numerically, but a significant drop in the keeper rate it seems. It seems like very small differences at this magnification can lead to different outcomes.

In comparing the two posts, I prefer the stuff in the assassins post to this post, but the sample is pretty small to make much of a definitive assesment or judgement. Needless to say, I look at all your posts Nate. I might not always comment, but I do look at ALL of your posts. I really do admire the drawing style of the Tamron 180mm macro lens--it cuts a very fine image! I've been watching your efforts and enjoying seeing what you come up with.

Try playing around with highpass sharpening/clarity slider in RAW processing. That as well as some global and local (subject and main interest areas) contrast and brightness boosting can unlock a lot more depth from a quite flatly lit shot. I know that some macro lighting methods yeald very flat results because of the light and diffusion which requires different editing that requires one to push at settings more in editing to unlock the most from the shot.
Aside from the slightly missed eye (looks a little like it at this size, but might just be me) the first shot I think shows this well - maybe a hair underexposed, but the shine from the flash on the bug is far more muted than on the others which is a good thing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back