Ranting

I love reading these threads.

HA! I was able to finally show some self restraint and not read this thread! (just the last 5 posts and it told me everything I needed to know) I'm going to pat myself on the back now.

I hope I can be an inspiration to others!

This rant is played like hairweaves and troll dolls.

The troll dolls are lining up to come for you.

1980s1.jpg

hey did anyone catch the premiere of boardwalk empire last night?
pretty badass!
it's great to have a new sunday show while true blood is off season. :thumbup:

pretty badass!

Pretty cool show.....it started a little slow last night but I guess they had to set up the story.:thumbup:

pretty badass!

Pretty cool show.....it started a little slow last night but I guess they had to set up the story.:thumbup:

i agree...but i think they really had to set the stage for whats to come.
im confident that the scorsese/buscemi combo will really deliver.

"what, are they gonna outlaw cigarettes next?"...that line made me chuckle.

These kind of threads make me cringe.

I've apparently recently crossed the "friends think my pictures are cool" threshold, and recently I've been getting deluged with friends (and friends of friends, and sisters of friends) asking me to take engagement/kids/wedding/car/etc. pictures. They'll ask me what my "rate" is. I say "free". They say "that's ridiculous!" and insist on giving me money anyway after the shoot.

Is that bad? I don't know. I tell them up front I'm learning, and I hardly consider myself a professional, barely a student in fact, but they don't seem to listen. They just see what I dump on facebook and think I'm some sort of tiny photo god.

Seeing as I'm broke as hell, though, it is very, very hard to turn down cash repeatedly. I think if you're up front about your ability (and realize that what you think is awesome really isn't), it isn't too bad. If you tout yourself as God's gift to photography, though, well, hubris is fun to shoot down.

I hope you take this the right way, okay? "Dude--wake up! When somebody asks what your "rate" is, they expect a numerical value between 25 and 200, followed by the American word "bucks", or "dollars"...got it???"

"Yeesh....man...come to your senses!!! People are trying to engage you in what is commonly known as a business relationship. If you can utter the word "fifty" and then the word "bucks", you'll go from being an unpayed shooter and cross over into the world of payed to shoot shooters!"

After a while you'll begin saying the word, "seventy-five", and before long "one hundred" and then before you know it "one hundred and fifty",and people will be saying, "Okay, great! When can we schedule the shoot?"

If they ask about your "rate" and the word "wedding" is uttered, throw out the words, "five hundred and seventy-five dollars, because it takes three or four days to process so many RAW files into perfect pictures." See what happens. Don't be that guy who works for nothing...especially when people are ASKING YOU for your rate. Give them an answer!

And then he'll be a pro. :lol:

Well, let's say he'll have joined the ranks of people who are payed money in exchange for making photographs...

The key is people are asking him for a rate quote, meaning they wish to transact business!!!!!!!!!

The thing I find most amusing is someone will post an incredibly well thought out, constructed and processed composition which people on these forums would drool over. Whilst the general will be "meh" and then someone learning about depth of field for the first time will take a picture of a flower with some bokeh, use a free to download image processor to make it look "retro" and everyone goes crazy and thinks they're a creative genius.

The thing I find most amusing is someone will post an incredibly well thought out, constructed and processed composition which people on these forums would drool over. Whilst the general will be "meh" and then someone learning about depth of field for the first time will take a picture of a flower with some bokeh, use a free to download image processor to make it look "retro" and everyone goes crazy and thinks they're a creative genius.

Examples?

Examples?
X2
:thumbup:

Always take CCs with a grain of salt. But for the most part, the negative comments are dead on. Some people juse deliver the negative CCs nicer than the other LOL.

Examples?

You mean like this.........

5005778648_01397d95f2_z.jpg
or this...
5005165643_4f54e8706f_z.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back