Replacement Kit Lens

Greendots

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My D50's 18-55mm Kit lens has died and with the money it would cost to repair it, I'd be better off just buying a new lens (it was refurb when bought).

Any ideas of an el-cheapo standard zoom to get? No need to stick to kit lenses.

I think the good cheap lens is the kit lens from Nikon and the range of 18-55mm is pretty good. Unless you like to spend more and go with a faster lens or long range one.

I agree wit that, get the Tammy 17-50 f2.8 if you can, it is an awesome lens.

First of all, try to avoid 'El Cheapo' when you're talking about lenses. These are the single most important part of capturing your image. I understand budget constraints of course and you can get decent lenses for not a lot of $$. The above mentioned Tamron is a good suggestion, however, have a look at Nikon's 18-70 f3.5. This was the kit lens that shipped with the D70 and is an excellent lens for the $$. Despite having some pretty nice glass in my bag, I still get a LOT of use out of this lens because of the decent optical quality and ideal day-to-day zoom range. It's a little slower than the Tamron, but it's also cheaper (esp if you buy used) and a lot lighter and smaller.

The current Nikon 18-55 AF-S VR (no, not real AF-S, but still decently fast AF-I), while relatively cheap, is of good optical quality for the price you pay.

What is your price range?

the nikon lens have a 5 year warranty... does that not apply?

I wasn't looking to break £100 :) I recognise I'll get a lot more for my money if I buy pre-owned, but I didn't like the idea of any potential issues cropping up. My kit lens was nikon-refurb and died not long after I got it. (warranty has expired now, I bagged the lens since I was looking to get something a bit faster, but now I've moved house I wont be able to afford much better.)

^ Possibly not with a refurb.

BTW, you didn't actually tell us. What "died"? The metering? AF? Chances are, you can still use it in M mode.

The AF died. Its nice enough to use in M, but some pictures I thought were going to be good turned out to be not as pin-sharp as I thought. I'm getting right in to photography now, and dont want to have a cracking day of shooting somewhere nice only to be dissapointed when I review my shots.

Most reactions

Back