Resizing and picture quality

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by scottyb, Apr 17, 2008.

1. scottyb

scottyb TPF Noob!

I need to scale down image size for distribution (web/emal/etc), and I need to be able to do this for many pictures (batch).
    I recently started shooting in RAW, and use the Canon utilities to process the pictures. I'm pleased with the results, but the utility doesn't have an option for size (*only allows resize of jpg, not RAW). What I've been doing is take the resulting jpg (~5mb file for best quality), then resize. The problem is that the result is noticably degraded regardless of the tool I use to resize it (I've tried about 5 different tools). It's very irritating.

My assumption now is that I need a better tool to directly process the raw file to the correct size I want. Is this correct? Should I bite the bullet and just get PS?

Another odd think I've noticed is that the Canon RAW image processing tool allows a "resolution" range of 10-2000, but regardless of what I enter, the resulting files are always the exact same file size, and I can visually see any difference. bug?

Camera is an XT btw.

TIA,
    Scott

2. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    You saving high quality JPEG? Because a high quality JPEG is indistinguishable from RAW unless you open and save it like 10 times or so.

3. scottyb

scottyb TPF Noob!

Yes, I'm saving high quality jpeg, but there is no option for size so I get a picture that's ~3456x2304 always. So what I have to do is then resize the jpeg and the resulting smaller pic is poor visual quality regardless of "picture quality" option chosen.

4. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes, I think you need a better tool.

I've never really liked the EOS utility software...it's not all that functional. What other software to you have?

I would recommend something like Adobe Lightroom, which is great for dealing a large number of RAW files.

Irfanview is a free program that has some pretty good batch commands, but I don't think it will edit RAW files (although it can see them).

5. scottyb

scottyb TPF Noob!

Is there a "bargain" version of photoshop for soemone like me that needs essentially the basics?

6. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Photoshop Elements. I think they are on version 6.0 or something...but any of the versions from 3.0 on, are pretty good.

You could also look at 'Gimp'...which is a free download. I don't know how well it handles batch processing though.