Ribbit C&C welcome

Stormchase

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all, I have been board at home and thought I would set out for some nature shooting. Was quiet for a long time and I put my camera away just as I saw this little guy go hopping along outside. I was able to run back in and get my camera back out and hunt him ( her ) down again and get this shot. Man frogs jump around alot lol.
Anyways I got it to sit still long enough for a couple shots. This is the better of a few I was able to get. I have some full body shots but there were some distractions with twigs and leaves. I had trouble successfully composing a good shot. this was what I came up with!
I stopped down for a couple shots but he was small and I couldnt use a tripod. Hand held w/ no IS keeped me too slow for hand holding. I was looking at f8.0 at 1/45 @ 90mm. I have been thinking about that but I had to keep the speed ...They were blurred so I changed it up a little. Wondering as well if you all think the DoF is a little too shallow. I thought it was kinda cool being so close i got a lot of the reflection is my lens hood. When I lightened the shadows in PP you can see it well but I slid it back down. All tips and C&C welcome!

90mm
f 2.8
1/180
ISO 400

4622343894_c1da0ec07b_b.jpg

Last edited:
I think the DoF is pretty interesting, but it would also look really good with his whole head in focus. Really neat colors, and I probably would have boosted the saturation just a tad.

Good focus on the eyeball...at that magnification using natural light that limited you to f/8 at 1/45 second, this is a pretty good result. Frogs have really cool-looking eyeballs, what with that gold-like coloring on then. I'm not bothered by the DOF as much as the purple fringing. While this is not a world-beater of a frog shot, it's got some interesting details to look at,and it was done under real-world constraints. Where I live, we have duller, almost all-green frogs mostly, so this colorful fog is cool to look at.

Thanks for the feedback,
What is the purple fringe? Sorry but im learning what to look for here. Every day is a learning chance! :) Could you point out what you see?
BTW I bumped it +1 on saturation -2 on the highlights and left shadows alone. +2 on exposure (in RAW). and a little bump of sharpness.
I did take some others but not this clear. Most of them had camera shake to them
The background was quite distracting like in this one.

4623136532_62a3349a24_b.jpg

This is the only one i keeped outside of the other posted. Im trying to keep down on my 1000's of shots ive saved. I keeped the better of the two poses. Still close up concidering this guy was only about the size of a quarter :)

What is the purple fringe? Sorry but im learning what to look for here. Every day is a learning chance! :) Could you point out what you see?
It's the purple fuzziness around the frog. It's a form of chromatic aberration. At least that's what I learned from Derrel's many posts on the subject.

I really dig the 1st shot with the eye detail. The eye is well placed, and the DoF works for me because the eye is so powerful. The saturation works.

This is the only one i keeped outside of the other posted. Im trying to keep down on my 1000's of shots ive saved. I keeped the better of the two poses. Still close up concidering this guy was only about the size of a quarter

I love the shot of the frog. It's just the word "keeped" is driving me BONKERS! Sorry I know this isn't an English forum, but twice in one sentence, it was killing me! lol, It's kept, there is no such word as keeped. Really like the frog though.

edit... change work to word! :raisedbrow:

Last edited:
I see a purple haze in the second pic from the leaf in the lower right corner, just in front of the frog's back leg. I really like the DOF in the first pic. Nicely done!

This is the only one I kept outside of the other posted. I'm trying to keep down on my 1000's of shots I've saved. I kept the better of the two poses. Still close up considering this guy was only about the size of a quarter.

Fixed. All better now? ;)

Nice focus on the eye in #1. I would have liked a bit more DoF so that the surface of the nose on camera side to its point is focused as well, then fade into blur.

#2 really doesn't have enough space on the left side of the frame to give the frog (and viewer) some breathing room.

...... It's kept, there is no such work as keeped. Really like the frog though.
did you possibly mean to use WORD ? :er:

...... It's kept, there is no such work as keeped. Really like the frog though.
did you possibly mean to use WORD ? :er:[/QUOTE]

:p:greenpbl::lmao:

I see the purple now. What causes that?

lol yes I did. As far as I know, work is still a word though!

I'm a frog fanatic! lol

I want to know how the crap you got him to sit there so still without scaring him and having him hop away.... I'm jealous! lol

Most reactions

Back