Rights To Photo?

If the OP had not signed a contract, thereby indicating agreement with the conditions, the price wouldn't matter.

Doesn't matter. The OP asked a question and the "irrelevant" post answered his question which would make it relevant. Plus, what you say makes no sense. If he didn't sign a contract then the price doesn't matter? Doesn't matter to whom? I had some pro photo's done of our son last fall and didn't sign a contract.....let me tell you, price still mattered to me.

Let's not forget that he's talking about an engagement shoot, not the actual wedding.

Doesn't matter. The OP asked a question and the "irrelevant" post answered his question which would make it relevant. Plus, what you say makes no sense. If he didn't sign a contract then the price doesn't matter? Doesn't matter to whom? I had some pro photo's done of our son last fall and didn't sign a contract.....let me tell you, price still mattered to me.

Let's not forget that he's talking about an engagement shoot, not the actual wedding.

The OP's question was: "My question is do we have full rights to the photo?"

I'm merely stating that his rights (or lack thereof) bear no relationship to the photographer's price. Neither a high price nor a low price will change whatever rights he has or doesn't have.

The OP's question was: "My question is do we have full rights to the photo?"

I'm merely stating that his rights (or lack thereof) bear no relationship to the photographer's price. Neither a high price nor a low price will change whatever rights he has or doesn't have.

I was directly answering this statement by the original poster, which was made directly prior to my post:

I honestly do not know why photographers have such a huge markup when it comes to enlargements, frames, etc.. If there was an even balance somewhere it would be a no brainer for me and I would have done the enlargement with my photographer. $300 versus $1000 is a good chunk of money. I've already paid $5000 to my photographer for the wedding day, but sometimes I get the feeling that they're just "milking" us for more money.

Seems to me that my reply was not irrelevant. :er:

I was directly answering this statement by the original poster, which was made directly prior to my post:

Seems to me that my reply was not irrelevant. :er:
Truce.

Thank you all for your responses. Just like many discussions in various forums, it becomes a technicality and interpretation of what was said. I did get a chance to talk to my photographer and honestly told him that we cannot afford the cost of enlargement. He was unable to help us with the price, so we're not going to have a picture at our reception. That leaves me the option of hiring a caricature artist for our drawing. I think it's actually fun and our guest would get a kick out of it. Also, I think that our photographer might change his mind about future pricing for other clients if he sees a caricature drawing and not his own picture.

Hi Tinman, it saddens me that you are having this difficulty. If I read your posts correctly- both the lines and between them- I believe that the root cause of this problem is that not enough time was spent between yourselves and the photog at your initial meeting.

I also think that this should be a caution to any photographer here that they must be upfront and go over all of the contract and it's ramifications.
It is very possible that the engagement photo for the reception could have been included and some other less important item dropped which would have made the couple happy and given the photog much better referrals.

Tinman, as to your questioning of the mark-up, not only does the average photog carry around $10,000 worth of gear to a wedding (I shoot weddings only occasionally and carry that much) he only has so many shoots in a year to earn the amount he/she needs to stay in business and pay the rent.

Again, if more time had been spent in the beginning, both sides could have come to a better understanding or you would have realized that you needed a less expensive photog. (no harm in that either)

I hope everything goes well for you and may you live happily ever after!!

mike

Most reactions

New Topics

Back