Ruby (after lunch) (PIC HEAVY!!!!)

Space Face

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ruby (my granddaughter) turned one a a few weeks ago. She's growing and developing so quickly. Such a tonic in these times.

I was going to put these in the 'Just For Fun' section as I was just messing about with my Sigma 105mm f/1.4 Art, which I specifically bought for taking photographs of her of a half decent quality. My aim is to take outside shots of her when she up and walking about but decided to have a wee bit of fun while she was in her highchair after she'd been fed today. Thursdays are the days I have her on my own as her mother and my wife both work Thursdays. Magic.

I'm no portrait tog and I know I've broken some golden rules of composition (nipping fiingers of, cutting across joints etc) but I was trying to get as many different expressions as I could (excuses, excuses 🤣🤣🤣🤣). All taken at f1.4 with a single light source about 45 degrees in front of her (to her left, right as we look at the frames) Anyway, I enjoyed taking them and I achieved my aim at least expression wise😁

Oobnick 1024-01.jpg

Oobnick 1024-02.jpg

Oobnick 1024-03.jpg

Oobnick 1024-04.jpg

Oobnick 1024-05.jpg

Oobnick 1024-06.jpg

Last edited:
I like them!

What type of light source did you use?

I like them!

What type of light source did you use?
Cheers.

I knew somebody would ask that😂😂. It's part of a three stand soft box setup I got off Ebay not long after she was born. Probably some unbranded cheap Chinese stuff in origin. Like I said, I'm no portrait (or studio) tog and wasn't gonna spend a lot of money (albeit I did on that lens). I just want to have something better than the usual mobile (cell) fone pics to remember her by from baby until hoewever old she'll be when I'm no longer able to photograph her.

I'll see if I can find the record of the Ebay transaction and get back to you.

Here's the type of set up. I just used one of the stands on the left of the main pic on the Ebay ad. I probably had it on full power but didn't check to be honest.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
She don't look very happy, perhaps she has wind.......

I like them. The last of the first set and #2 of the second set are my picks. Looks like she's already practicing the pout she will undoubtedly use to get what she wants from you in the last one of the first set:chuncky:

Here's the type of set up. I just used one of the stands on the left of the main pic on the Ebay ad. I probably had it on full power but didn't check to be honest.

Thanks Space Face!

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Excuses, excuses! :D A wonderful couple of sets of a cutie! You did very well for not being a tog. I have four sons, and only one of them has provided me with the joy of grandchildren.

Excuses, excuses! :D A wonderful couple of sets of a cutie! You did very well for not being a tog. I have four sons, and only one of them has provided me with the joy of grandchildren.
Thank you very much Jeff. I really appreciate that.

I like them. The last of the first set and #2 of the second set are my picks. Looks like she's already practicing the pout she will undoubtedly use to get what she wants from you in the last one of the first set:chuncky:
Cheers Dean. Yeah, the wee madam does tend to get her own way😁

These are wonderful. I like the lighting. All the images have nice sharpness and tonality. That lens has some character. She is adorable and you have some wall hangers in there. Thank you for sharing your special time, I love these, especially the 2nd one from the top in the second lot of images.

These are wonderful. I like the lighting. All the images have nice sharpness and tonality. That lens has some character. She is adorable and you have some wall hangers in there. Thank you for sharing your special time, I love these, especially the 2nd one from the top in the second lot of images.
Wow, thank you very much indeed for those kind words. I'm not confident with portraits or lighting and not very experienced with either so your comments are greatly appreciated.

What a sweetheart, great memories you will cherish. She is adorable with a lot of personality coming through. Good job overall. For next time, you might need to move the key just a tiny bit higher based on the catch lights. The only other comment I might make is the light set you have is a grossly underpowered, waste of time. I know, because I got suckered myself several years ago with a very similar set. I tried everything to make them work and finally gave up. A far better setup is to use two off camera flashes and reflective umbrellas with diffusion covers. You can also place her near a sunlit window and use a large white poster board or white sheet as a reflector for fill.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back