Rugby

Formatted

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.jawns.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Two of my favorite shots from the season.

First is from Monkton Combe School 1st V Kings Bruton 1st. Number 8 being closed by a flanker and scrum half.

Untitled-2.jpg

Second is from Monkton Combe School 2nds V Kings Bruton 2nd. Line Out.

Untitled-3.jpg

The composition has worked well in the second photo, but I am disappointed in the first the lack of feet of the number 8 is a particular bug bear. But what do you think?

#1 the focus is off the flanker to the left looks more in focus, #2 would have been better if you had shot portrait and more to the left

Thanks for the feedback is see what you mean about Number 2 and will try and recreate that in the future. Its a shame about the first with the focus.

I'd also like to throw this into the mix if I may

Monkton Combe School 1st v some school I forget
DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0122.jpg

Probably to green, and the light was poor.

The second batch are too wide rugby is mostly shot tight with long lenses, i use a 300mmF2.8L on a 1D and a 70-200 on another 1D, i havn't shot rugby union for a while but here's some RL to give you an idea
133647002_qzhku-L.jpg

bit of a wider shot
168443389_zuxcb-L.jpg

Your shots are much tighter and there also from a different angle much lower. I assume you got right down?

Gary has offered a few good points to you. Keep shooting, there are a few rugby shooters here to offer advise

Usually in sports,people try to get on their knees or on a stool.Reason being that when standing up,the angle is very odd looking.I started shooting sports standing,but slowing I moved and I started to get stools or sit down and shoot.Try different angles,they give you different perspectives.

This is the angle you get from going low

4071415964_fde85a7119.jpg

4062439945_9fc43d4d1d.jpg

And sometimes,if you try different angles,you get some rewards too.
It started raining,so I seek shelters at the gallery and I got this

4079713969_90dc379354.jpg

One more thing,your photos need lots of cropping,there's too much distractions

1)it's fine,but can be better,wait for the peak action

2)This reminds me of a picture.But that told a story,it was a girl with manicured nails,but this,it looks like a snapshot

3)Too much human in the picture,crop in to to action,the picture is all over the place

4)A picture that is blurred is a useless picture,no matter how nice the action is

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments and the tips.

What do you shoot with?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back