Rule Of 3rds Should Be Rule Of 9ths

LarissaPhotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.larissaphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Everybody thinks different, but from my perspective the rule named the rule of 3rds should really be named the rule of 9ths. If you break the shot into 9 different pieces, each piece is a ninth, not a third. I know that it's a 3rd per axis, but it just doesn't make as much sense to me. Oh well.

wasn't it thirds because the object should occupy a third of the frame???not how many sections there are?

its rule or THIRDS cuz each axis is split into thirds, not nineths

I thought this one took the rule to a new dimension :lol: -Shea

Shea_Para-Linedup-FULL_X800_2409.jpg

If it were the pieces that were important, then perhaps, but it's the lines and the intersections when each axis is split into thirds that matter.

Everybody thinks different, but from my perspective the rule named the rule of 3rds should really be named the rule of 9ths. If you break the shot into 9 different pieces, each piece is a ninth, not a third. I know that it's a 3rd per axis, but it just doesn't make as much sense to me. Oh well.

It appears that way, but many times, say when composing a scenic shot like a person walking on a beach, they are utilized separately. First, the horizontal thirds...do I want the horizon (or shore) on the top third line, or the bottom third line, then the vertical thirds...do I want the person to the left or right.

According to Nikon it's the rule of quarters - that's how the grid looks like in the viewfinder when I activate it. I'd be grateful if somebody could explain this one to me.

Do a google on the Rule of Thirds, it has been discussed to DEATH.

Personally, this "rule" of thirds is something that limits you in the first place. It shouldn't be anything more than a sugestion... or as I like to say, rules ar MADE to be broken. The ROT is a tool for beginner photographers so that they can understand not to always put the main subject in the middle of the frame.

For me, I do not have a rule of thirds, I have a rule of 2 billion (lol), and that gives me artistic freedom to place the subject ANYWHERE that I want so that the artistic value of the composition is maximized. If that means that the subject needs to be centered, it will be.

BAH! to the "rule" of thirds. ;)

According to Nikon it's the rule of quarters - that's how the grid looks like in the viewfinder when I activate it. I'd be grateful if somebody could explain this one to me.
That's because they are grid lines, not rule of third lines. A lot of cameras now have some sort of grid. Some offer a choice of grid sizes. They are basically to assist in keeping things level, or vertical, or in a certain composition as you desire. I like them as often, in taking a quick shot, they help remind me to keep things straight.

Personally, this "rule" of thirds is something that limits you in the first place. It shouldn't be anything more than a sugestion... or as I like to say, rules ar MADE to be broken. The ROT is a tool for beginner photographers so that they can understand not to always put the main subject in the middle of the frame.
I disagree. I think even at the very height of composition, the rule of thirds can be used to create an effective image. The best thought on the ROT I've ever seen I read recently in a book on composition (and at the moment I can't recall, durnit), and it was, summarized: "The Rule of Thirds should be applied instinctively." Some images will naturally fall into the ROT and it will pay to at least pay a bit stricter attention to the ROT in those situations.

It's a good starting place for beginners, but art for thousands of years has existed employing it, the golden rule and the rule of symmetry.

Musicians at the top of their games still play scales and arpeggios. Probably not to the rigor that a 6th grader in private lessons does, but they're an integral part of the art.

There are times when ROT should be used others times just be free to place the subject. As Jerry said the ROT can be something that limits people because they feel that they have to follow it and then they miss shots.

The rule of thirds was created as an easy way to get newbies to stop centering the subject 100% of the time. With practice we are expected to progress beyond such gimmicks, and develop a deeper, more instinctive feeling for composition.

"Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." -Edward Weston

The rule of thirds was created as an easy way to get newbies to stop centering the subject 100% of the time. With practice we are expected to progress beyond such gimmicks, and develop a deeper, more instinctive feeling for composition.

"Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." -Edward Weston
Nice quote; I like it.

Most reactions

Back