Rutland Meet Up - Jelly Belly Roulette, and a plan. In theory

On the first full day of the meet up, the group met up at the Grain Store pub. This is (far side of table) Hertz, Tangerini, Chris of Arabia, and his wife Anne-Marie; (near side of table) Jeff Canes, and the backs of tb2 and his wife Kathleen
groupattables.jpg

Fangman drove in from Ely to meet us
fangman.png

Jeff Canes
jeffy.png

Notegraphics (and Hertz): the Men in Black
jerry.png

Notegraphics and his big camera
jerry2.jpg

When hunger set in and there was no food being served at the pub, we grabbed the fixin's for a picnic and headed over to Rutland Water. Here Fangman and Tangerini enjoy the fare
picnicm.png

Even Colin and his cousin from Colorado, Declan, got in on the act with a Melton Mowbray pork pie, and strawberries
colinpicnic.png

After the lovely meal, we wandered over to the partially submerged Normanton Church, which was decidedly NOT "just around the corner" as Notegraphics was told! Here, tb2 and his wife Kathleen are glad to have finally reached the church
tb2m.png

Tangerini also shows signs of relief in having successfully made the trek
tangerini.png

While Hertz just grinned 'sheepishly'
hertz.png

Last edited:
After leaving Rutland Water, most of the group went back to Hertz's where we awaited the arrival of Lil Loui, and sampled some fish and chips. All too soon Tempra and his wife Sandie and their three kids had to leave as they were on their way to Scotland.
tony.png

tony2.png

sandie.tif

Don't try this at home, folks. ..............(Try it at Hertz's home).
img883101.png

culshaws.png

tonynphoebe.png

Last edited:
The next day ferny met up with part of the group (which had been joined by L'il Loui the night before). Here are Jeff Canes, ferny, Lil Loui, Anne-Marie and Chris of Arabia
5onbench.png

img885401.png

img885302.png

Lil Loui shows off her 'killer demon' face
louisek.png

Tangerini shows off her killer smile
ninin.png

While Hertz does everything but smile when I aim my camera at him. (This was the closest to a smile that I could get)
hertz2.png

Last edited:
So, I'll start at the beginning as it relates to my trip to Rutland. After arriving in London on Saturday, I met up with Jeff Canes for the drive to Oakham. In the lovely Mercedes he had rented. With a GPS. We were off to a slightly rocky start, though, as it took us a few tries to make it over the Tower Bridge. The extra loops did let me get some pics from the moving car though!

Ornate base of a lamppost
lamppost.jpg

The Clock Tower at Westminster (home of Big Ben)
bigben.jpg

And finally, Tower Bridge!
1towerbridge.jpg

Some Rutland trivia I found at one of the URL's provided by Hertz in the first post of the meet up organizing thread:

* Rutland is the only county in England without a McDonald's restaurant.

*The Jackson Stops Inn at Stretton hosts the World Nurdling Championships every Late May Bank Holiday, in which 13 old pennies are hurled into a hole drilled into the seat of an oaken settle. The tradition game of Nurdling dates back to the Middle Ages. The 2009 Champion, or 'Best Tosser' is Don Bentley.

*Rutlanders were proverbially called Raddlemen.

*In 2006 it was reported that Rutland has the highest fertility rate of any English county - the average woman having 2.81 children, compared with only 1.67 in Tyne and Wear

* In the first episode of The Black Adder, the title character claims that if his side loses the Battle of Bosworth, Rutland would become the new location of part of his anatomy: " If we lose I'll be chopped to pieces. My arms will end up at Essex, my torso in Norfolk, and my genitalia stuck up a tree somewhere in Rutland."

Nice pictures and cool trivia :) I must say I had never heard of Rutland before reading about the meetup :oops:

Rutland is England's smallest county and we have the UK's oldest newspaper.
But don't feel bad. It doesn't ever appear on the BBC's website. :(

Surveying the damage caused to Manse Hertz by the over-zealous TPF freestyle dance contest Tangerini decides it would be better if she and the Canadian baggage made themselves scarce for a while.
So forcing Hertz to drive them at gum point to Whitby the brave and resourceful van Rental wreaks his revenge by assaulting them with fish, chips and mushy peas.

Attachments

• $P5281002.jpg
    $P5281002.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 222
  • $P5291102.jpg
    $P5291102.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 247
  • $P5291105.jpg
    $P5291105.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 182
Well, I seem to remember that the first question asked whenever we got in the car was 'who wants some gum?'

Tangerini peering wistfully into the teddybear shop as the populace of Lincoln drifts by.

Attachments

• $P5301168.jpg
    $P5301168.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 227

Most reactions

New Topics

Back