Saigon Notre-Dame Basilica

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Shot back in June with the Nikkor 18-55mm kit lens. Physically couldn't get any lower, so most of the bottom of the building is cut off. Any constructive criticism is welcome, notably the post. This was done on my early days of LR (only recently got it), and I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to contrast the building and the sky, so I just threw on a graduated filter.

I've been here and taken pics of the church as well.

My thoughts; the building is unique in SaiGon in that it is a Beautiful red brick.

B&W loses that.

Had you taken a few steps back or gone across the street you may have got the bottom in view. For me, knowing the structure, you're perspective doesn't work.

I've been here and taken pics of the church as well.

My thoughts; the building is unique in SaiGon in that it is a Beautiful red brick.

B&W loses that.

Had you taken a few steps back or gone across the street you may have got the bottom in view. For me, knowing the structure, you're perspective doesn't work.
The color is lovely. I did have a shot from an angle down the street, but haven't posted that. I was torn between leaving it in color or making it B&W, but the B&W makes it seem more dramatic.

Will post up another pic soon. Would it be appropriate to just drop the other picture in a post here?

Will post up another pic soon. Would it be appropriate to just drop the other picture in a post here?
Oh, sure! It is particularly relevant since the topic is the building, so more than one shot is entirely appropriate. Tedium begins to set in when someone posts a dozen shots of random stuff and wants a critique on all of them.

The composition on these aren't too good, and I did what I could in post to make the building pop a little.
EDIT: I just noticed the very slight tilt in the pics after uploading. They looked fine on LR. Weird.

I struggle getting a good shot of this building as well, with all of the traffic that surrounds it. If you look on my Flickr I have an album from 2010 labeled Vietnam you can see it if you like

Nice detail and B&W makes this photo powerful! I like these shot
Thank you for sharing

Shot back in June with the Nikkor 18-55mm kit lens. Physically couldn't get any lower, so most of the bottom of the building is cut off. Any constructive criticism is welcome, notably the post. This was done on my early days of LR (only recently got it), and I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to contrast the building and the sky, so I just threw on a graduated filter.

When I visited the Paris Notre Dame the tour guide told us that back in the day, houses were built right up close because the architects wanted people to have to look up and be impressed by the glory of god. There was no way to view it as we do now from across or down the street without much of it being blocked by houses.

I think you've really captured that historic perspective with this shot. It takes it from a "oh look, another building" to "whoa, that's quite a feat of human capability." At least for me.

When I visited the Paris Notre Dame the tour guide told us that back in the day, houses were built right up close because the architects wanted people to have to look up and be impressed by the glory of god. There was no way to view it as we do now from across or down the street without much of it being blocked by houses.

I think you've really captured that historic perspective with this shot. It takes it from a "oh look, another building" to "whoa, that's quite a feat of human capability." At least for me.
The angle does show the sort of grandness of the building, looming over the viewer.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back