Saving pictures to disc

cjt_7

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Sony DSC-H50 9.1 mp camera & I usually use the 9 mp setting. I am taking a lot of photos of my children playing sports. The trouble I am running into now is that the files are so large it takes quite a few cds to save these pics. I was talking to someone at a game that has a very nice!! Canon camera. She said her camera software lets her compress the files to save them but then she can open them back up at the original size & quality. Is this possible for other software programs to do also?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I heard that you can compress the files with WinRar and when you open the file from the C.D. it will be the original size that you took it in. That's my understanding of it anyways. WinRar is a free program anyways so it's definately worth to download :)

Good lord no!

Just invest in a cheap DEDICATED hard drive for your pictures. If you are serious about archiving, you can get a 500GB hard drive for relatively CHEAP, and not have to worry about this issue.

Like Ands! said. Compression = trouble (degredation, loss...)

An external Hard Drive doesn't cost much and holds tons...especially 9mp thats about 5mb per picture so 500g drive would be all you need for a very long time. In the long run it would be cheaper than CDs

Thanks so much for your help. I will certainly look into an external hard drive. ... discs are expensive & it is becoming difficult to find places to store them :)

Thanks again.

What really ticks me off is, "cheap" is relative to the person looking. Hard drives are indeed cheap now per MB, but not cheap enough for me to purchase one. The reason is, I don't want or need a 500 GB hard drive. I would be perfectly happy with a 100 or 150 GB drive. That is plenty for me being that my photos are currently only on a 20 GB partition. That to me would be cheap. Unfortunately, you can't find them, or at least I can't find one.

I don't need $100 500 GB drive as I don't have $100 burning a hole in my pocket. But a $25 100 GB drive would be perfect and that is cheap to me.

EDIT: On second thought, I need an external drive as I now have a laptop provided from work. It would be nice to have all my photos on an external drive so that I could use either my desktop as my main workplace, but still easily use the laptop, especially now that hockey season starts on Saturday and I'll be spending more time in front of the TV in the evenings.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back