SB800 flash

Patrice

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Here are two not particularly good shots that show what an SB800 flash can do. The setting is a school gym where the front stage was lit for the school christmas pagent. Both shot with D200, auto ISO and 17-55 lens frm the back of the hall. The second shot has the flash mounted on camera, pointed at the ceiling with the wide angle diffuser in place. I was able to get about 50 shots at this event with one set of alkaline AA's.

Attachments

• $Auditorium no flash.jpg
    $Auditorium no flash.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 94
  • $Auditorium with flash.jpg
    $Auditorium with flash.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 124
LOL... yeah that thing DUMPS the light out... I love it. How's the weather up there? I'll be there the last week of January and I'm hoping for a Chinook. :lol:

Nice... I will soon be looking into buying a flash. Would you recommend the 800 over the 600? I haven't looked into either yet so I'm starting fresh.

How's the weather up there

A little farther north, here in Edmonton, it's actually quite nice for this time of year. A few degrees above freezing is the day time high.

rmh159 said:
Would you recommend the 800 over the 600? I haven't looked into either yet so I'm starting fresh.

The 600 was the first one I bought and it works fine. It's all I used for nearly 18 months. I got the 800 when I wanted to explore CLS a bit more. The 800 has about 1 stop more power, can be used as a master, has a built in white card, and comes with two filters and a diffuser. Whether that's worth the price difference or not is up to you.

Patrice said:
The 600 was the first one I bought and it works fine. It's all I used for nearly 18 months. I got the 800 when I wanted to explore CLS a bit more. The 800 has about 1 stop more power, can be used as a master, has a built in white card, and comes with two filters and a diffuser. Whether that's worth the price difference or not is up to you.

Cool thanks for the info. As far as price goes... that's not a considerable issue. Can you give a bit more detail on CLS (new acronym for me) and how the internal white card works?

Thanks!!

CLS: Nikon's Creative Lighting System - wireless off camera multiflash controlled by the camera and it's exposure metering system.

The built-in white card is a little piece of white plastic that pulls out from the top of the flash. It redirects a bit of light towards the subject when the flash is bounced off the ceiling or a wall. A business card and a bit of scotch tape does the same thing.

Most reactions

Back