Screen Calibration

my brain is dead I think ;)
but yes it is more used to the calibrated view than the old veiw (which has a very strong greeny hue now I compare the two) the newer view does have the slight tinge to it - sort of bluey purply I think (I mostly notice it in IE7 though)

not sure how IE handles colour management ... maybe there also lies a hidden problem. but I am no expert on this ;)

oh I think IE is horrible at it (From what I have read) but I was still trying to get to sRGB calibration - since that is the common one used by some external (online) printing labs.
btq your surfing in hidden mode - sneaky!

My Dell 2408WPF monitor was way too red out of the box. I spent two days getting the colour to where I was happy with it. I don't have tools, though. I created a colour chart in Photoshop, concentrating on a range of tints in neutral grey. That "technique" seems to have worked fine.

I also noticed that every browser handles colour differently. Firefox and the Mozilla browsers are very saturated. Safari seems to be the most accurate, but I work on a Mac.

The thing nobody seems to account for is how each person sees colour, i.e. colour blindness!

Good luck!

Freelunch, Firefox and Mozilla need colour management expressly enabled. The Dell 2408WPF is a wide gamut screen so without colour management your colours will look very saturated anyway. In case you use it fire up Firefox and type "about:config" in the address bar. Change gfx.color_management.enabled to true, and point "gfx.color_management.display_profile" to your display profile (either downloaded from the web, or better yet created with a calibrator) e.g. "C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\color\LCD2690WUXi 81106573YB.icm" With that firefox will behave perfectly on your screen. Incidentally this same profile should be loaded into windows colour management or photoshop will spit out the wrong colours too.

Overread there doesn't look like there is anything wrong with the output from your software. Certainly the numbers are sane. You say it wanted 80cd/m^2 for the brightness? That is ludicrous. You would barely be able to see the screen if the room lights are of standard office brightness. As with the curves, it's a minor detail. The sRGB profile specifies a curve which is very similar to Gamma 2.2 so if you can't set it explicitly just pick gamma 2.2 as you already have.

Garbz thanks for the advice - I also contact their helpdesk and got a responce back where the techy was surprised that my moniter had a brightness adjustment and said that it was more likley to be a backlight setting - sure enough changing the calibration to read my moniter as having a backlight adjustment and no brightness allowed me to go through calibration without a problem :)

In all fairness its called a brightness setting on my screen - and its got the same symbol as backlight.............talk about confusing!

Garbz thanks for the advice - I also contact their helpdesk and got a responce back where the techy was surprised that my moniter had a brightness adjustment and said that it was more likley to be a backlight setting - sure enough changing the calibration to read my moniter as having a backlight adjustment and no brightness allowed me to go through calibration without a problem :)

In all fairness its called a brightness setting on my screen - and its got the same symbol as backlight.............talk about confusing!

No way, that's weird.

Glad you got it fixed though.

yep - but everything is so dark now (well compared to what it was before)! Its going to take a while to get used to the new lighting setup and I might just setup a second calibration mode with brighter backlight - else I am going to start telling everyone I comment on a photo of that they could make it brighter ;)

To bring this back to life....

When calibrating a MAC laptop, since you adjust brightness with 2 buttons, should i set it to max before calibrating?

Another factor to consider... can the browser that you are using take advantage of the new calibration or is it simply screwing things up a little?

Your calibration could be ok, but the browser not able to use the new settings and just give you all kinds of strange colour casts.

Pure: I believe the brightness should always be set as high as possible, but it won't matter. One thing is certain and that's that the calibration will only be valid for one brightness setting.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back