Seamless questions for home studio

MOREGONE

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello,

Going to be setting up a small studio in my garage and looking to see if anyone has feedback on my plan.

I am getting a couple rolls of seamless and my first task is to find a way to hang the roles and store them. Since space is limited I was thinking to use a couple of these brackets so that I can create a shelf on top for the additional roles and then use a rod between for the paper.

Amazon.com: John Sterling RP-0045-WT Shelf And Rod Closet Bracket, White: Home & Kitchen

I am only getting 3 roles thinking I will put this as close to the ceiling as I can and still have room to store 2 roles on top and one on the rod. This looks like it would work well my only concern is the distance the paper would be from the wall.

Also, which side of the Seamless do you shoot? Or does it matter? Do you unroll it so your shooting the inner part or the outer part?

Would a PVC pipe be strong enough to hold up a 9' roll?

Thanks

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I would not use those particular brackets; the front "hook" that holds the rod in place doesn't appear to come up very high, and it's possible that it could get pulled out (these brackets are meant to be used with 3/4 or 1" wooden dowel which is screwd in place through the bracket). The idea is good, but look for brackets where the front lip or hook comes up much higher above the rod.

Paper is generally used so that the subject is on the inside of the curve.

I would suggest either 3/4 or 1" dowel or 3/4 black seamless pipe to hold up a 9' roll. PVC will be strong enough in that it won't break, but it could sag, and will likely over time bend and make rolling and unrolling difficlut.

I was going to use those same in my basement, but realized I don't have studs on the walls :p

so I went with $2 bike hooks:

20141220_172517.jpg

DSC_5671-1.jpg

That's actually (2) 5' sections of pcv then I joined together--holding just fine. PCV is a lot stronger than you initially imagine.

Thanks for the replies. I will look for a new method to hang the rolls. The thing I was liking about that was the shelf but I just read that you want to store rolls standing as the weight can make them oval over time when stored horizontally.

I just realized I have a rod for a photography backdrop setup that will work perfectly. have four 4' metal sections that interlock so i can use 3 to make a 12' pole.

I do have a couple bike hooks I could use... hmm

Most reactions

Back