Selling Photos

Unmanedpilot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I have been trying for a few months and have gotten 27 views on my most popular photo at shutterpoint.com. So I was wondering what stragities you guys use to sell your photos? I have had many people say I have some great pictures, though i often disagree, im still trying to sell my pictures. I'll post a link to my shutterpoint gallery and i look forward to your replys.

http://www.shutterpoint.com/Photos-BrowseUser.cfm?user_id=UNMANEDPILOT

I have a website and use word of mouth. I also use photographersdirect.
I've had several sales through my website and one through Photographers Direct. At PD my panoramic shot of San Francisco was sold for over £85 (approx $150) for use in Germany. I retain all the rights and the use is limited to one calendar with a run of approx 5500.

I've often tried to discourage people from devaluing their work using sites like shutterstock. Having seen your shots they're worth way more than the $20 i saw quoted for one lightning shot. And that's for royalty free use - an infinite number of uses by any one person. And since you don't know where it's being used or its purpose you cannot sell that shot again for any REAL value.
Shutterstock and their like may give photographers a kick by selling shots but i think they undermine the true value of a shot.

Why not try talking to local cafes, coffee shops, internet cafes, craft fairs etc? Get yourself known and what i always do is include my name on a border so that people know who took the shot. I obviously didn't for the calendar but for all prints i think it's a must.

EDIT:

Having had another look at your shots i suspect another reason you've had no sales is the low resolution you've used. 2576 x 1932. Shots with a 5mp camera can't be printed particularly large and since advertisers, calendars etc need hi quality images, you may find that your biggest hindrance is your equipment. PD.com recommend AT LEAST 6mp. I started on 6.3 (Canon Digital Rebel), moved on to 8.2 (Canon 20D) and have just upgraded again to 12.8 (Canon 5D). Few companies are going to use or recommend a low res shot because it doesn't look good for anyone using a low quality shot to advertise their product or use in their calendar.

Thanks for the info, never really thought about cafe's and sutch. Now the reason they only are on there for $20 is ive never sold one before and yes my quality isnt that great, i could only afford a point and shoot with some advanced options, so I fealt it only fair to sell them for 20. If one gets sold it will have paid for my shutterpoint account and I probly will take them down after my 6 month period is over.

The other problem with the photos you have is that you have the human element is a lot of them....what I mean by this is that people looking to buy a nice print probably don’t want the top of a building in a nature picture because it takes the focus away from the scene...this is mainly composition but it also diminishes the overall feeling you get from something as powerful as a lighting strike or sunset.

Most reactions

Back