Selling your work

Darfion

Soapbox guru...
Reaction score
Website
www.darfion.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
If i wanted to sell any of my work how would i go about setting up this?
I just, at the moment, take photographs for fun and upload them to my web-site. But what if someone wanted to buy any of my photo's?
Thanks in advance.

There is more to the end product than image alone. Are you selling a lab print? A hand print? An inkjet print? Is it archival? Is it on regular paper? Is it on special paper? Maybe you are just selling a file? Will it be matted? Framed? Are they buying it to hang in their home? Are they buying it to use in 1000's of advertisments? Etc....

Sometimes the photographer decides these things; sometimes it is decided by the needs of the customer.

First you'll need to asses how much the photo cost you. Be sure to include your time, lab fees, supply costs, equipment costs, and any other expenses.

Second, how much profit do you want to make? usually this will have to be a compromise between what you wish people would pay, and what they actually will. Don't be afraid to name a high price; you can always haggle the price down if a customer balks.

I have determined an hourly rate that I will work for as a photographer. I charge this rate plus supply costs to photograph. I have fixed prices for my prints that are based on supply costs and how long on average that it takes me to make one print of a particular size; I give a 50% on all additional prints from the same neg ordered at teh same time (after the first print is figured out, the rest come pretty quickly). I offer toning, matting, and framing for additional charges, also based on supplies needed and the time it takes.

This works for me now, but my pricing methods have changed in the past, and I'm sure they will again. There are lot's of different ways photographers price service and photographs. Pick a simple method that works for you, and modify it to suit your needs. Just make sure that you accurately assess what the delivered product cost you (travel time to the lab, time spent at the lab, etc..., don't overlook anything), and don't be afraid to ask for what YOU feel the photograph is worth.

I have heard many people recommend this book to other members when the subject has come up .[ame]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1582971862/qid=1070836051//ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i0_xgl14/104-5897169-4373555?v=glance&s=books&n=507846[/ame]

Most reactions

New Topics

Back