Settings

ffmedic245

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am having trouble getting my backgrounds to blur when taking photos. My Nikon F100 would do it bet my Nikon D200, I cant seem to get it to work. I have used the same lens on both, a Nikon 28-105 f3.5-4.5. I have tried it on the Aputure setting and the Programed setting. Does any one have any ideas or tips. Thanks.

Well the lower the F/# the more likely it is the background will blur. It also depends on how far away the background is. If its mere inches it won't blur much since its so close its almost in focus, but if its a few feet away it will blur a lot since its way out of focus.

So if your shooting something see if you can get an angle where there is space behind the subject of your photo. If there isn't a lot of space then there is nothing you can do but get a faster lens. Lens' with f/1.4 or f/1.8 blur the background real easy and with no real difficulty. I own a Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 and there isn't much DOF @ f/1.8 which works awesome.

To blur the background, you need to think about a few things.

First is to use a large aperture (low F number). The second is to get the subject far away from the background. Third, use a longer focal length (zoom out). Fourth, get as close to your subject as you can (while still getting the composition you want at your focal length).

Part of you problem is that the D200 has a sensor that is slightly smaller than 35mm film...which gives you a larger DOF...so you have to work a bit harder to get the effect that you want.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back