Shadows of Tall Trees

Not sure, what to think about that. I like to point the lens up, and maybe I am doing it too frequently, but many of my such shots not always convey my initial thought or fascination. Something here for me is off or too rich in the "shadows department". Something doesn't play together. I suspect, that it might be also my imagination. :boggled:

Not sure, what to think about that. I like to point the lens up, and maybe I am doing it too frequently, but many of my such shots not always convey my initial thought or fascination. Something here for me is off or too rich in the "shadows department". Something doesn't play together. I suspect, that it might be also my imagination. :boggled:

I couldn't put my finger on what it is but there is something, isn't there? I thought at the time that perhaps I should try a shot from a position further right, so as to give the window a different angle, but the light was fading so quickly that I gave it up. Perhaps there are too many shadows? would less be more here?

I'm just peeking at it from my phone at the moment and it looks really nice to me, but I reserve judgment on the "something" (or lack thereof) that has been mentioned until I see it on a bigger screen tomorrow.

I'm just peeking at it from my phone at the moment and it looks really nice to me, but I reserve judgment on the "something" (or lack thereof) that has been mentioned until I see it on a bigger screen tomorrow.

Thanks, Leonore. I look forward to hearing what you think of it then. I would like to print this one but maybe it still needs a little work: suggestions welcome!

I'd stick with the first one. I like the way the window anchors the composition. I'd be tempted to crop off just a little on the right, but that's probably just me.

I like #1. It is ominous and foreboding. My first reaction was 'muddy' ... but if you punched it up it would lose the feel of ominous and foreboding. The deep set window gives it a prison feel and makes one wonder why the deep wall ... what are they keeping in or out ... I'd punch up the window if you can ... the portal to a different world.

I agree with Gary. I finally got a chance to see it on a nice big screen and I think it needs a simple contrast bump.

I do like the diptych, though the first one can stand on its own. Interestingly, in the rough estimate of what that diptych would look like, the images have more contrast, which is what I imagined they needed anyway. Compare that to the original posts of each one and you'll see why they seemed a bit muddy.

I think the diptych gives better sense of the wall existence and now places the window in logical distance and isolation. Now I like it.

Most reactions

Back