Alison

Swiss Army Friend
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
fatephoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here are a few of the pictures from a recent wedding. I've got over 1100 images to sort through so I'm sure there will be more later, or I'll just post a link to the completed gallery. Hope you enjoy them, as always, comments welcomed!

Flower girl's first look at her "fancy" hair
IMG_9334.jpg

Ring bearer and bride's son
IMG_9447.jpg

The Rings
IMG_9558bw.jpg

Getting ready for the reception
IMG_9328bw.jpg

First dance
IMG_9496bw.jpg

The reception
IMG_9728bw.jpg

I love the diffuse atmosphere in the rings shot. Nice series :thumbup:

Thank you, it's fun to be able to do those effects for weddings. I'll probably do more from the ceremony with the soft effect. She's looking for a coffee table album so I tried to shoot with images that would suit that style.

Photoshop through a program called Mystical Tint Tone & Color. Under a setting called overexposed. Works great, I love that program!

1100 images... :shock: That's amazing!!! How much time do you spend culling them before you get down to serious work? I think I'd be ready to eat a gun after the first 600. ;)

What you've posted is very pretty. I like that soft focus look of the 3rd image, too. Very pretty shot! :thumbup:

terri said:
1100 images... :shock: That's amazing!!! How much time do you spend culling them before you get down to serious work? I think I'd be ready to eat a gun after the first 600. ;)

What you've posted is very pretty. I like that soft focus look of the 3rd image, too. Very pretty shot! :thumbup:

Well, it was a 12 hour coverage and both Aubrey and I were shooting so.... :lol:

Usually I do a quick scan the night I get home, delete any that are blurry, eyes closed etc. In the next few days I start croping and editing if needed. I view about 10 photos at a time in PS and pick the best and edit those. In the end I'll probably get about 300-500 images that have been cropped, retouched and coverted to black and white. I show most images in color and black and white. The reason I take so many is that I've found family and friends will order a bunch in addition to the bride's family. If I get good shots of the flower girls/ring bearers that can lead to portrait shoots down the road from their family. Candids at the reception are a big hit as well. I would guess it takes about 5-7 hours to post edit once I get down to the ones I want to save. I have a program that sizes them for the web and an online ordering gallery so that saves a ton of time!

If I get good shots of the flower girls/ring bearers that can lead to portrait shoots down the road from their family.

You're exactly right. Not to hijack your thread, but that comment reminded me of this image, from one of our last weddings. He was such a cute little boy, the ringbearer, and even though this wasn't one of our faves his mom had asked us to shoot it while we were taking a break, and we ended up getting another job when she saw it in the bride's book. You just never know what's going to float people's boats!

TheRingBearer.jpg

He's adorable, GREAT shot! Post more from your weddings, I love to see other people's work :D

AlisonS said:
He's adorable, GREAT shot! Post more from your weddings, I love to see other people's work :D
Thanks! I'll start another thread and pop in a few of my faves. We're working on a web site, which is why I have them online. Haven't done one for a few years now....he did the real work, I got to run around with the high speed B&W and snag a few less formal moments. ;) He got tired of them, frankly. It's a shame, cause he wasn't bad! :mrgreen:

I think there's a high burn out rate. Eventually all the couples start seeming the same. I really like the work though, and the high energy of the day. I think it's easier because it's not my "real" job so it's sort of a break. It's fun to work with your partner though, extra time together and Aubrey just smiles when I get all teary at the wedding vows :p

AlisonS said:
I think there's a high burn out rate. Eventually all the couples start seeming the same. I really like the work though, and the high energy of the day. I think it's easier because it's not my "real" job so it's sort of a break. It's fun to work with your partner though, extra time together and Aubrey just smiles when I get all teary at the wedding vows :p
We did the same thing!!! :lol: There's something about the moment that doesn't get old, no matter how many times you do it. Got me every time!!

Our enjoyment was from working together and putting out good work, having happy clients, etc. But he never liked the business aspect of it, and we got stiffed one time from a bride's father, and the bride had to pay. He didn't like dealing with those situations, that's just not what photography means to him. :)

Thank you :) I use a Canon 10 & 20D with 550 flash. Alternating between ISO 100-400 depending on the lighting.

Hey Alison! Can you show a before-photoshop pic of "The Rings" I'd love to see the difference. I love that shot.

Most reactions

Back