Sharpness is overrated

chuasam

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Post a great unsharp image. That being said, the given image has to have artistic merit and is not merely unsharp for the sake of being unsharp.
6994893585_b14b7e4904_o.jpg

Also, put a link to your favourite image (or two) that is unsharp (that is taken by someone else).

Lartigue
jacques-henri-lartigue-automc3b3vil-delage-del-gran-premio-del-acf-1912.jpg

Ellen von Unwerth
evu_milla_sasha_02a.jpg

Talking about movement or diffusion?

I got some movement photos, but they are not handy. They are negs that need to be scanned.

So let me submit some 'cheezy' diffusion samples.

Taken with Pentax D2000 with REAL, not fake, single element 100mm f5.6 diffusion lens.

spring2lr.jpg

100_3877-LR.jpg

100_3879-LR.jpg

spring8lr.jpg

spring3lr.jpg

spring4lr.jpg

spring6lr.jpg

This one was with Pentax K1000 with Fujicolor and scanned the photo.

edit_robin_with_flower.jpg

...personally, I like any type of photo that can speak to me - whether muted, grainiy, sharp, foggy, whatever.

Last edited:
I think there is a considerable difference between an "unsharp" photo and something that is meant to have blur or softness. Most subjects and images absolutely require sharpness. Ever see a professional landscape photographer shoot hand-held? How about a wildlife photographer for National Geographic who missed the focus on the eyes? Nope, because their stuff would not sell.

I think there is a considerable difference between an "unsharp" photo and something that is meant to have blur or softness. Most subjects and images absolutely require sharpness. Ever see a professional landscape photographer shoot hand-held? How about a wildlife photographer for National Geographic who missed the focus on the eyes? Nope, because their stuff would not sell.

I used to think so, but get some of the NG coffe table books. Loaded with fuzzy, grainy, blurred, muted images and they look great!

and there is a whole lot more to photography than landscape stuff and National Geographic stuff.

IMO, there is no specific issue that is so overwhelmingly important that it must be included - unless it interferes with the enjoyment of the image.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back