Shooting a local concert--need help

lkWinnipesaukee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys,

My friend is putting on a concert for local bands in mid-June. I got permission to take pictures and sell them to the band members. Hopefully this will offset the cost of the 430EX I'm going to buy.

Some questions:

1) First off, I will survive with the two lenses I have listed below, right?

2) Diffusers. I'll be around 8-20 feet from the bands. I was thinking of getting a Lumiquest Softbox to use for shooting. I will also toy around with bouncing. But if I can't bounce the flash off anything, will the Softbox still prduce decent looking pictures without harsh shadows?

3) I was going to charge for individual print. What kind of markup am I looking at? These are high school kids who don't or can't pay high prices for prints.

4) How much should I charge to give them licensing rights (i.e., give them the file and let them print/sell it all they want)?

Anything else I should know?

Thanks!!

1. Depending on available light the 28-105 is probaby too slow and the 80-210 is almost certainly too slow. Fast lenses are needed at concerts (nothing slower than f2.8). Really depends on the light but with subjects moving all over the stage you need shutter speeds in excess of 1/200th just to stop action at times. Get close and use the 50 f1.8 or if slightly further away buy an 85 f1.8 if you can.

2. 1. Do not use flash unless you know what you are doing. As well as ruining atmosphere the band members may not like it as it's pretty off putting. Softbox will be a waste of time possibly. You lose too much light through it. Just forget using flash - there was a post here a few weeks ago very similar and the poster realised later. Flash takes time to master. It's not a case of put it on and shoot. You need to be aware of available light, apertures, shutter speeds etc etc.

here's some of my first concert - no flash (although I appreciate I might have had a bit more light to play with..... 85mm f1.8

SimonL_Girl_1.jpg

SimonL_1.jpg

Duran-Montage.jpg

All were shot wide open at f1.8 & ISO 800 - that's why I say forget the zooms - too slow.

The only time that you will need to use a flash is when the light that exists is not enough, even with a f/1.8 and ISO of 1600 or 3200. I encounter this alot with the local shows, and i do use a flash in that situation, but ALWAYS ask for permission.

I meant the 50 1.8 and the 28-105 3.5-4.5, not the 80-210.

Thanks for the reply. The concert will be outside at night, so I don't think I can either shoot sans flash or bounce a flash off of anything. I'll ask if i can use flash.

Thanks for the reply. The concert will be outside at night, so I don't think I can either shoot sans flash or bounce a flash off of anything. I'll ask if i can use flash.

As I say not only will it put off performers, it wastes your images. Use the fastest lens you can get..... 50 & 85 f1.8s are pretty decent. 85 is better if you can get it

There would be stage lighting i'm hoping lol. If you're close to the front, shooting wide open with your 50mm prime, and ISO 400-800 you'll probably be ok.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back