Shooting my first wedding in 2 weeks, suggestions needed!!!

Theantiquetiger

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A childhood friend saw my images on Facebook and asked me if I would shoot her daughter's wedding on the 22nd of this month. I first told her no and explained to her a wedding photographer and an artistic/landscape photographer are two completely different animals. She insisted I do it, so I told her I would do it for free if there was another wedding photographer there and don't be mad if I don't come up with one good image. I told her I will do it for the practice.

So what are some good basic rules of wedding photography? It will not be at a church, it's at a reception hall (and ceremony maybe outside)

I will be using 2 cameras:

60D with Tamron 70-200 2.8
T1i with Tamron 17-50 1.8
Plus 430x speedlite and Tamron 10-24 3.2 (most likely won't use)

Oh no. Don't do it.

#1. I'm going to suggest that NO ONE on this forum start going off on this person about not doing this. I'm grumpy and I'll probably have to shut the thread down. :)

#2. To the OP, I suggest you search the forum for "wedding". You will find a lot (LOT) of threads like these with some really sound advice in them. (including 8 million people saying that what you're doing is insane)

See how I did that?

Ha...If they do hire a professional to be the shooter..They will have in their contract that there are no other shooters allowed..You will be off the hook..

The other reason I am doing it is because the other photographer is not a professional photographer either. She is the sister of father of the bride (my friend's ex-husband). She did the wedding of the sister of the bride, but shot mostly the father's side of the family, leaving the mother of the bride and her side of the family out of most images.

I saw saw the work of the other photographer, it was nothing special (not bad, just lacking composition, etc).

i plan to do just portraits of the bride (a week before the wedding) and candid shots of the pre-wedding and reception. I do not plan on shooting any family/wedding party portraits (she knows this).

Im going in as an artistic photographer, not a wedding photographer.

Learn that flash in a hurry if you're not already fluent with it. TTL, bounce, diffusion dome w/ flash bender would be my choice. I don't know which camera is better at high ISO, but I'd put the 17-50 on that one.

#1. I'm going to suggest that NO ONE on this forum start going off on this person about not doing this. I'm grumpy and I'll probably have to shut the thread down. :)

#2. To the OP, I suggest you search the forum for "wedding". You will find a lot (LOT) of threads like these with some really sound advice in them. (including 8 million people saying that what you're doing is insane)

See how I did that?

O.O the bunny hath spoken

EVERY SINGLE wedding shooter in the WORLD had to start with wedding number one. Every. Single. One.

"A journey of a thousand weddings starts with but one, small wedding." Isn't that the old saying?

EVERY SINGLE wedding shooter in the WORLD had to start with wedding number one. Every. Single. One.

"A journey of a thousand weddings starts with but one, small wedding." Isn't that the old saying?

but it I am not a wedding photographer nor a great portrait photographer. I am a street photographer.

See, I could have sworn the old saying was, "Didn't that grenade come with a pin? oh.. crap!!!"

Lol..

Ok, well to the OP, from your equipment list looks like you've got a couple of good lenses for lowlight so you should be ok there, if it were me I'd probably just take a look at some professional wedding photographers websites and get an idea as to what types of shots you'll probably want to take. Other than that just relax and have fun with it.

Learn that flash in a hurry if you're not already fluent with it. TTL, bounce, diffusion dome w/ flash bender would be my choice. I don't know which camera is better at high ISO, but I'd put the 17-50 on that one.

The 60D is by far the much better camera. I am pretty fluent with the flash, on and off camera. I do have a diffusion box and flash stand with umbrella.

The Tamron 70-200 2.8 will be my main lens, making great candid shots with great bokah.

But those people generally shoot people before they start weddings. Not landscapes.

Hah I beat the bunny to it :p

OP, do you have a flash? Nm im slow. Ok, can you do a practice run at their rehearsal/rehearsal dinner? Get used to the people, shooting them etc?

^^^^ what they all said

:thumbup:

OP, do you have a flash?

Yes, the Canon 430x speedlite. I am pretty good at it, on and off camera.

i will get some indoor practice this weekend at the New Orleans Comic Con. Granted I will do any off camera flash work, but I find off camera flash easier then the on camera flash.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back