Should I buy this background support set?

Starlite

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.com/ASSIA-BACKGROUN...hZ011QQcategoryZ79006QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

does this look like a decent deal, or is that too expensive?

I need to get a background to start and practice some photos...

Also wondering about their backdrops -

http://cgi.ebay.com/9x-6-CHROMAKEY-...hZ011QQcategoryZ30079QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

I may buy a backdrop from somebody else on Ebay, but their supports are the only ones that will go narrow enough to fit into my studio room. The other ones are just too wide, and don't go narrow enough!

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You may want to check this...but I think that any of those background supports are collapsible....which would mean that you can set them up smaller than the listed size. (you just can't go any wider). What price do you mean? The current bid is $20...I would expect something like that to sell for around $100 give or take.

If you have a studio room...do you really need a background stand? You could just attach the fabric right to the wall...or install some hangers/hooks/clips etc. I would think those stands are more suited for portability...so that you could take them to any location.

I bought that exact thing (from that exact buyer) a couple of weeks ago. It's decent. I paid $20.49 for it [$64.48] with shipping.

If you are not going to move it around. Say just practicing in the basement or room. Go to a local home supply store and buy 2 closet rod supports and a length of closet rod (wood). Can even just use 2 big hooks screwed into the wall or ceiling. And you can get the closet rod any length up to 16'. This would be about 1/10 the cost of the set above ($44 in shipping thats a rip off). They are inflating the shipping so if you don't like it they only refund you what you paid (not shipping). They are getting their full value out of the shipping! In other words they make money if you keep it or not! Have to watch ebay closely!! And if you use Paypal you are not protected as much as you think! PAYPAL does not refund shipping if you file a complaint and win!! I learned that the hard way on one item.

Now if you need to keep the wall looking nice or want to be able to move it around. Then get a set with stands and cross rod. But look at other options. Dont just look at price.

I get really ticked off with sellers who charge exorbitant fees for shipping and refuse to buy from them. IMO $44 is exorbitant for something that probably doesn't weight #2. As Ben said, this is their way of making $ whether you like it or not. I have much more respect for those who just start the auction at a reasonable level instead of screwing you on shipping costs. (my rant is over).

I recently made a background stand out of 3/4" drinking water pvc pipe for about $15. It can go up 10' wide and I made it semi adjustable to go from about 7' to about 5' tall. It is somewhat cumbersome and not nearly as pleasant to look at as something like this, but it certainly is good enough to practice with. After I constructed this, I had a thought that if you were willing to tacky up the room you are shooting in with simply 2 small hooks in the ceiling, you could do this with 1 10' peice of pvc and suspend it with thin chain or spectra cord (thin but extremely durable rock climbing accessory cord) and be able to adjust the height. Total cost for that set up about $5. Again, it won't look like a ritzy studio, but the results will be identical.
just my .02.

wow thank you for the help!!!!!!!!!!

I was kind of thinking about the home rigging idea myself, but then thought that was the ghetto side of me coming up with a ridiculous idea... now I see that it isn't ridiculous at all.

Thanks again :heart:

I have bought some cheap stuff on ebay, and it has actually worked out for me. But if just starting out / practicing it doesn't matter if it looks shade tree or ghetto. What matters is learning to take better pics.

Now if the shade tree stand keeps falling down. Then maybe its time to open the wallet. :)

Once you get better and want some more options (know more of what you need / want). Then maybe you will be ready for a good stand set.

If you are going to shoot anyone but family with a portable background holder get more liability insurance. they are extremely unstable. I had a savage holder once and it was supposed to be the best at the time. If fell over more than once at a shoot.

Go with the wall mounted either with hooks or holders and a rod or just staple it to the drywall. Wire staples from hand held gun will hold light cloth and paper. they can also be removed carefull and the tiny holes filled with toothpaste

I made my first backdrop stand out of pvc pipe, I think it cost me all of 20 dollars including pipes and hardware and glue.

It served me well to get some paid shoots that bought me my more professional looking stand that I bought from ebay.

This is the stand I bought. The newer picture they have for the item is a bit strange since it appears it may come with 4 upright stands, but it dosn't. Two uprights and 4 section crossbar. I am very happy with it.

Cheers,

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
thanks for all the feedback peoples!

I've been immersed reading my new photography book, but I shall be back once I'm at the next step...

then I plan to post some photos for you all to laugh at.

I found this a few days ago and will be building it with the next couple weeks.
http://www.diyphotography.net/homestudio/blz/home-made-cheap-diy-backdrop-stand

It'll cost about $50 CAN for the pvc and a little more for the lights and build in electrical stuff.

I altered the two different designs to make exactly what I wanted.

I plan to start doing portraits and studio work and dont want to spend a ton on equipment and turn out that it's now what I want to do.

EDIT: they also have a few different other designs for lights and reflectors etc

Mine is similar... and had fallen over a lot! If you get this one, make sure you have some sand bags or something to support the base.

This is what I use:

Two umbrella stands ($5.00 each second hand) and 3 lenghts of shower curtain rod, one piece of which fits inside the other two. I drilled holes at the ends of the rod to fit the end of the umbrella stand into. Small plastic spring clamps hold the backdrop on the shower rod as well as a small flash I use as a hair light.

Patrice said:
This is what I use:

Two umbrella stands ($5.00 each second hand) and 3 lenghts of shower curtain rod, one piece of which fits inside the other two. I drilled holes at the ends of the rod to fit the end of the umbrella stand into. Small plastic spring clamps hold the backdrop on the shower rod as well as a small flash I use as a hair light.

That sounds like a good idea...but where did you find used umbrella stands for $5?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back