should i give away a high rez image file? Or charge $? or offer print?

Thank you Imagemaker46, sm4hm, and vintagesnaps!! This is more particularly the info I was looking for.

I wish I would have gotten these more recent responses before I replied to her. I asked her if she wanted it to print. She said she wanted to share it with her family. She saw it facebook in the first place when the bride tagged her.

I ended up saying I could give her a higher quality image "I just ask that if you will be sharing it on social media that you use the one with my name on it to help promote my photography."
She replied " I would love to send it to my family, and would be happy to promote your work."

I haven't actually emailed it to her yet though. I decided I wanted to have my name on the picture regardless and would send her a 180dpi image. I guess I will explain that this is what I can offer her under the circumstances and now also set more parameters as suggested above in this thread.

Wow, I can not fathom how much there is to consider to do this professionally. It makes my brain hurt, because I don't really know where to begin. Anyway, thanks again for the responses.

Last edited:
..now have one of the attendees requesting a high res image file (of her daughters).
Just the one inquiry? Are you quite protective of your images? Have you asked her why she wants it?

My first response would be to simply give it to her.

If she wants to get it printed, I'd at least ask to be allowed to reject any prints that did not meet my standards.

You could offer to order the print yourself so you can have editorial control over the quality of it. Give her the print at your cost.

What a brilliant way to handle this situation, then hand the print over with some business cards and maybe you'll build and advocate for your business.

Sent by www.philsphoto.com from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since you indicate taking on gigs, which indicates a desire to make money from photography, whether part time or full time, my recommendation is to indicate a willingness to send a lower resolution image suitable for social media or e-mailing, but for a high resolution image you will need to charge. What is often overlooked in the "should I shoot or give images for free" discussion, is the risk getting a reputation for free or cheap prices, which you may be able to afford as a hobbyist, but should you go pro it may come back to bite you.

Most reactions

Back