shutter stuck open

denada

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hi. i have a nikon af600. a p&s 35mm. the shutter just randomly became stuck open on my last shot. now nothing on the camera works. any idea on how to unstick the shutter?

thanks!

figured it out thanks to this page: A Simple Fix for a Stuck Shutter |Do It Yourself Digital Camera Repair

held the shutter button down while removing and replacing the battery and the shutter started to jiggle and after 10 second snapped back into place. too bad i lost a few dope shots opening my camera to figure out what was up, but much better than losing my new 28mm p&s.

Glad you figured it out. Do you know what caused it. Don't want to loose shots again.

no, unfortunately i do not and that is a point of concern. the link with the fix said it can be a reoccurring problem (though they're talking about a difference camera). if anyone knows a permanent fix, i would be extremely grateful.

i bought this cameras from an ebay seller who does not specialize in cameras and had it listed "as is." so i got it for a steal. i actually got a mint olympus xa for next to nothing a year ago the same way, listed as "broken / for parts" by someone who didn't have another camera in their items for sale.

if it continues to happen and no one can give me a permanent fix, i'll spend a little more for another. i really like the camera.

man, i'm glad i posted about this because it happened again and i could not remember how to fix it. lost shots yet again though. guess it's time to keep an eye out for another, hopefully without a $100+ price tag.

edit: keeps happening. camera is garbage as is. anyone know of risky, invasive procedures to fix a sticky shutter? don't care if i break it trying because it's broke.

Last edited:
Why another?

I loaned a P & S to my daughter a few years ago to take to Virginia Beach. When she brought it back, the shutter was stuck open, but it was due to sand being stuck in the mechanical part of the shutter. I fixed it with compressed air. Sounds like yours might be electronical instead of mechanical.

Why another?
because i've shot a few rolls with it and love it. super small, reasonably crisp lens, and 28mm. only problem is the shutter sticking occasionally. too often.

anywhere know of a place i can send it off? i'd pay up to $100, because it will cost me at least that to replace.

or what about just spray and pray with electronics cleaner?

Wrong camera. Sorry. I am multi tasking, helping others fix their camera. Point and shoots are easy once you get them apart. The issue will be apparent upon taking the cover off. More than likely a gear spring let loose.

yep, shutter is completely different but i appreciate it. it's an electronic problem or something is gunked up behind where the plastic covers. my smallest jewelers screwdriver isn't small enough.

i'd like to just send it to a repair place. if no such place exists, i'm gonna find the world's smallest screwdriver and go to town.

called dodd camera for a quote. if it's expensive, exploratory surgery.

just took like 100 shots with it on empty and it worked flawlessly. maybe it needs some more use to be broken in.

Last edited:
just took like 100 shots with it on empty and it worked flawlessly. maybe it needs some more use to be broken in.
That is my standard method with a 'new' old camera - sit there for half an hour taking shots with no film in place. Doesn't always work. I have a Fed 2 which works perfectly with the back off but the shutter does not open at all with a film in place.

Sent from my 8070 using Tapatalk

^jammed on shot 101. called a few places about repair. more expensive than buying another. i'm a decent tinkerer. will give it a try. going to pull it apart and clean whatever with naphtha. not sure i'll buy another if i fail, as it was only close to the camera i wanted.

not being able to use portra 800 because its silly dx code system was a bummer. not being able to chose aperture was a bummer. max shutter of 250 instead of 500 was a bummer. not being able to zone focus was a bummer.

auto was quick, but not quick enough. plus having to center subject, keep perfect half pressure on shutter button, and then recompose is not practical.

i'll buy another if there is no 28mm compact with more manual features that allow for zone focusing with portra 800.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back