Sigma 10-22mm and D40, $650 good deal?

harlequin29

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi I am new to this forum. Please forgive me if i have posted this in the wrong area.

I really think I would like this lens and am considering purchasing it used from local craigslist.

I have no other cameras and am looking to purchase a D40 and the sigma ultra wide for $650.

The seller is including a strap, bag, memory card, battery, charger, UV and polarized filter.

Is this a good deal? Bad deal?

I read the DO NOT BUY A D40/40X sticky thread and am confused. It seems like the last few posts describe how almost all of Nikon's new nice or pro lenses have internal motors anyways, which to me seems would be perfect for this camera.

I have no problem upgrading body in the future if need be as long as I could continue to use the Sigma 10-22mm.

Do I have any bartering room at $650 considering the lens has no issues and the body is near mint?

Thanks very much, I look forward to hearing any insight =]

4277402021_fa8962de81_o.jpg

I'd also like to note that I think I would enjoy the portability of a d40 and this lens. The lighter and smaller it is, the more likely I will take it with me on the fly.

sent you a pm

I have the that Sigma 10-20mm but in the canon copy! I absolutely loved it untill I sprung for the 1D and 5D which are full frame cameras, I also shoot on the Elan 7ne witch is a 35mm camera also full frame setup. Unfortunately to get a good cropped wide you have to go with the DC line sigmas "Digital Cropped" LOVE this lens but if your planning to ever go full frame you will shelf it later like me... I only pull it out when I pull out my XTI for nostalgic reasons because I like to shoot all of my bodies, otherwise it's a paper weight, but I shot the hell out of it and it made me its money back many times over when I was into shooting cropped. As for the Nikon body the only one I have is the Classic F3, DSLR Nikons I know nothing about! LOL so no comment.

ALIAS

I haven't seen or read the "do not buy a D40" thread. But I have a D40 and it is great. You will be limited on what older, used lenses you can buy, but you don't really need to buy old lenses with all the great current options. The size/weight really makes the D40 a great option for carrying around all the time.

I've never used the sigma lens, but ultra-wide lenses are great (I use a 14-24mm on my FX sized Nikon d700 and love it.) Here's a great review of the Sigma lens.

I don't think that's a great price. Maybe good or fair, but not great. You can certainly try making offer - it depends on whether the guy/girl is desperate to sell.

what happens when you use this lens on a full frame?

Also can anyone shoot me the lowest price I should shoot for when haggling?

I am guessing 250-275 for the body only and 300 for the lens.

Thanks

ignore that 'do not buy the d40 thread'.
the people that are happy with their d40s are plentiful. myself included.
that deal does sound pretty good. its a ~$500 lens, and a nice starter body.
you could easilt pick up the kit 18-55 and/or 55-200 for pretty cheap after that, and then youve got yourself a pretty well rounded kit.

if its used, get the shutter count, and hndle/try the camera first. :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back