Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 EX DG HSM Macro

keith204

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I shipped off my trusted lens yesterday. It was my most-used lens, and the one that brought in the $ to pay for all my other gear, plus some. I'll admit, the reason for my upgrade was 80% pride--wanting the best of the best. The other 20% was for the image stabilization...a rational reason.

Leaving it with the shipper yesterday was quite tough, because I was giving up a lens that never disappointed me.

After owning this lens and using it in extreme conditions (low light, requiring fast AF), I would certainly recommend this lens to anyone who wants a Canon 70-200 f/2.8L but is on a tight budget. This Sigma is certainly a steal. I've owned my share of crap Sigma lenses, and this is certainly not one.

I will agree as it is my most used lens also:)

I have the older non-macro version, love it aswell!

I've owned my share of crap Sigma lenses, and this is certainly not one.

I have it too. The Mark II version, actually. Which was sent to me as a replacement for the Mark I, which had very weird back-front focusing issues, that even Sigma itself couldn't fix.
After months of waiting, i got the Mark II. It came with 8cm frontfocusing. Sent it to Sigma again and they fixed it alright. But now, two months later, the diaphragm blades are broken, and you can see them closing inconsistently - sometimes half of the way, sometimes 3/4 of what they're supposed to. And the camera jams because of that, and gives out an error 99.

Anyways, to make a long story short - i'm not buying anything Sigma ever again. If you're a pro, and your equipment is your money, go for a brand that has some more self respect. Not that Canons or Nikons don't have their issues, but i'm sure the QA is much better and the chances of getting a lemon after a lemon after a lemon are slimmer.

I have it too. The Mark II version, actually. Which was sent to me as a replacement for the Mark I, which had very weird back-front focusing issues, that even Sigma itself couldn't fix.
After months of waiting, i got the Mark II. It came with 8cm frontfocusing. Sent it to Sigma again and they fixed it alright. But now, two months later, the diaphragm blades are broken, and you can see them closing inconsistently - sometimes half of the way, sometimes 3/4 of what they're supposed to. And the camera jams because of that, and gives out an error 99.

Anyways, to make a long story short - i'm not buying anything Sigma ever again. If you're a pro, and your equipment is your money, go for a brand that has some more self respect. Not that Canons or Nikons don't have their issues, but i'm sure the QA is much better and the chances of getting a lemon after a lemon after a lemon are slimmer.

I don't blame you for being upset! Man that's gotta stink. This is my first hearing of the MKII version of this lens. I wonder if the MKII has more QC issues than the MKI.

I really enjoy mine! It's the DG non-macro version though.

2538198730_20455ebce4.jpg

2538198676_144bd324e9.jpg

Most reactions

Back