Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 EX DG HSM Macro

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by keith204, Jun 4, 2008.

  1. keith204

    keith204 No longer a newbie, moving up!

    Joined:
    May 20, 2007
    Messages:
    1,643
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Bolivar, MO
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    So I shipped off my trusted lens yesterday. It was my most-used lens, and the one that brought in the $ to pay for all my other gear, plus some. I'll admit, the reason for my upgrade was 80% pride--wanting the best of the best. The other 20% was for the image stabilization...a rational reason.

    Leaving it with the shipper yesterday was quite tough, because I was giving up a lens that never disappointed me.

    After owning this lens and using it in extreme conditions (low light, requiring fast AF), I would certainly recommend this lens to anyone who wants a Canon 70-200 f/2.8L but is on a tight budget. This Sigma is certainly a steal. I've owned my share of crap Sigma lenses, and this is certainly not one.
     
  2. D40

    D40 TPF Noob!

    Joined:
    May 25, 2007
    Messages:
    475
    Likes Received:
    0
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I will agree as it is my most used lens also:)
     
  3. NateWagner

    NateWagner TPF Noob!

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2008
    Messages:
    1,240
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    well, all I can say is that I'm quite excited to get this in the mail :).
     
  4. JimmyO

    JimmyO TPF Noob!

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2008
    Messages:
    2,132
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    NJ
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have the older non-macro version, love it aswell!
     
  5. FidelCastrovich

    FidelCastrovich TPF Noob!

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2007
    Messages:
    189
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Israel
    I have it too. The Mark II version, actually. Which was sent to me as a replacement for the Mark I, which had very weird back-front focusing issues, that even Sigma itself couldn't fix.
    After months of waiting, i got the Mark II. It came with 8cm frontfocusing. Sent it to Sigma again and they fixed it alright. But now, two months later, the diaphragm blades are broken, and you can see them closing inconsistently - sometimes half of the way, sometimes 3/4 of what they're supposed to. And the camera jams because of that, and gives out an error 99.

    Anyways, to make a long story short - i'm not buying anything Sigma ever again. If you're a pro, and your equipment is your money, go for a brand that has some more self respect. Not that Canons or Nikons don't have their issues, but i'm sure the QA is much better and the chances of getting a lemon after a lemon after a lemon are slimmer.
     
  6. keith204

    keith204 No longer a newbie, moving up!

    Joined:
    May 20, 2007
    Messages:
    1,643
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Bolivar, MO
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I don't blame you for being upset! Man that's gotta stink. This is my first hearing of the MKII version of this lens. I wonder if the MKII has more QC issues than the MKI.
     
  7. Deadeye008

    Deadeye008 TPF Noob!

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2007
    Messages:
    532
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Utah
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I really enjoy mine! It's the DG non-macro version though.

    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]
     

Share This Page

Search tags for this page
sigma 7--200 apo ed
,
sigma 7-=200 ex f2.8
,
sigma 7-200 2.8
,

sigma 7-200 2.8 review

,
sigma 7-200 ex
,

sigma 7-200 f2.8

,
sigma 7-200 macro
,
sigma 7-200 review
,
sigma 7-200 vs canon
,
sigma apo 7-200 ii