Sigma 70-200 mkI vs. new mkII Image Quality

reg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Stuck inside of Mobile with the GTFO Blues Again
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Does anybody know if there is an increase in IQ between the "original" 70-200 2.8 HSM Macro and the HSM Macro II, as this is the difference claimed by sigma? I see some kinda iffy reviews on the original version, but I don't see a whole lot of tests for the II version.

Yep, the Canon looks excellent, but I don't quite have the money to spend on one. I hope you get some responses soon because there is one on craigslist near me for $500!

I found this review on the FM forums, they seem to think the older one was alot better than the new one. I think the low review ratings are mostly due to the front focusing problem that alot of the copies have. I'm not entirely sure what front focusing is, but they don't like it. Is it when the front element actually turns when the lens is focusing?
http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showcat.php?cat=37&page=3&sort=7&perpage=12&stype=

Oh I see, ya thats worse than I thought, haha. especially since I shoot sports, and I'm no good at manual focusing, so that could be a huge problem

I was looking at these a few weeks ago (something in another thread sparked my interest). I just sent an email to a mate to see if can get his hands on one for some tests. I read the review on dpreview.com and looked at some sample shots. To be honest, unless you are going to do a tight crop on a 200mm shot, being a hobby photog, I dont think the slight softness would bother me too much. But like anything, I would like to try before I buy.

Most reactions

Back